Skip to main content

What improvements

Yesterday was a great day. I started off the morning with a 5:30am swim practice. Great workout, but of course Matt kindly let me swim the whole practice without fins while the last set (3 x (5 x 50)) were with fins for everyone else. Thanks Matt! Needless to say....I was pushed. We also did a test set to see how many laps we could do in 10min. I was very proud with my 1:20 average pace. Seeing that last summer I was looking to hold 1:30 for all my sets, I can only hope that I can hold a 1:15-1:20 pace in Kona...we will see!
Foot is feeling super and went for another 4 mile run on the treadmill. Hopefully I can step up the mileage gradually and run more next week. I headed over to the North Pinellas Y after my workout, chatted with some of my friends who work there and then helped Gabriella with her Swimming. What improvements..I just love it! Sometimes we (as competitive athletes) take for granted the little things and we always focus on getting faster by pushing harder and testing our limits. Well, Gabriella wants to do her first triathlon this summer. She has one son (8 yrs) and she works full-time and travel a couple times per year for her job. However, she really wants to improve her swimming. Not only are her skills improving, but she did bilateral breathing for the first time!!! Now it is natural for her. As a former competitive swimmer, I wouldn't think twice about bilateral breathing, but for Gabriella, she is one step closer to signing up for her first triathlon. Good for her. Oh, as I was leaving, my friend Meg said she is looking to do a duathlon/triathlon in a couple months and asked me for advice. WOW! How exciting...newbie triathletes everywhere!!!!
I worked on some articles during the afternoon and drove to the suncoast trail for some riding. It was super windy and the old marni (6 months ago) would have said "There is no way I'm riding in the wind!!!" haha-how funny since I rode 30+ miles in straight 20-30 mph headwind during IMFL!!!! Now, as I'm training for Kona in Oct, I have a new appreciation for "wind" Although you can't beat the wind, I'm not scared of it either.
I biked for about an hour before meeting Sarah for an hour-My scared cyclist. Don't worry sarah..I was the SAME WAY!!! Our goals for the hour were to ride in the aerobars and ride out of the saddle. Yeah for Sarah who did both and looked so comfortable doing it! I'm so proud of her improvements!!!! Now it is easy for her to ride on the bike-she doesn't look as scared. And when you are comfortable on the bike you are sure to ride better!!! keep practicing those skills everyone! Oh-and if you have a cute outfit and your bike matches, you know you will ride fast! Or, at least that is my theory. Seduza LOVES her red and black look! But, eventually I'll have to retire the pink helmet and pink sunglasses to match the color of the tri-bike.
Last night I treated myself to some Baskin Robbins ice cream. oK-something I rarely do...REAL ice cream (no low sugar/soft serve)! I could actually taste each sugar particle in my mouth and I could hear my blood sugar scream at me "What are you doing MARNI!!!" haha-ok, even as a sports nutritionist, I do consider myself normal!!! YUMMY ice cream!! Hey-with all the improvements going on (with myself and others), I had to enjoy my ice cream with no remorse!
The weather is looking a little yucky today and as I sit watching the clouds build up I am regretting passing on the moring ride. I was worried it would storm as i was riding but now as hours have passed by with no rain..what a bummer! Well, that's florida weather! I am about to personal train my good friend pat and I'm wondering if I should chance a ride to her house or just drive. I think I will play it safe and wait until the afternoon to go for a nice spin on the road bike. This weekend will be lots of riding!!! You may think that I am obsessed with training but it isn't something "I have to do" but rather I really love to train. As you know, I hate to be injured (even a blister gets me sad-yeah, I should get over being such a wuss) and aside from my recent foot injury, I have never been injured. Therefore, I can wake up every morning excited to train and work hard. Also-I always have LOTS of energy...lots and lots and not sure where it comes from.
No overtraining due to proper nutrition and enough sleep. Triathlons are just one part of my life, but it is a big part. I don't think I would be who I am without the sport!
Take care everyone and don't forget to make note of all your improvements. It doesn't have to be a PR to see an improvement. Look at the little things for positive reinforcement. Even if it's setting a weekly goal of x-swim practices, adding extra miles riding or running or signing up for a bigger distance race, hold yourself accountable and you'll be sure to see your improvements!