Skip to main content

Doing it solo ....

After Friday's workout, I was looking forward to a BIG weekend of training. I was a little nervous because my long training sessions are very indicative of how my weekly training is going. Since Karel was off in Georgia, I enjoyed my Friday evening watching TV and catching up on emails. Friday is my favorite night with karel 'cause we don't have to train in the evening and we are getting ourselves ready for lots of weekend training. Saturday morning I woke up early to start my long run by 6:30 am and I wanted to be sure I had enough time to get myself cleaned up with food in my stomach before a YMCA meeting at noon. The run went really well and I didn't have any bad moments. I did get new shoes on Friday so my feet were really happy! I saw a couple of my friends as I was running (jennifer, Gay and Tony) so that really makes a long run more entertaining. I ended up with 2 hours and 30 minutes of running with lots of fluids to help myself stay hydrated. I wear my fuel belt and listen to my sony radioshack radio (I have a nano, but I love my old school radio!) and I was very conscious of refilling my fuel belt flasks. I also enjoy my hammer gels (vanilla is my favorite!) and I am really into sport beans and Clif blocks when the gels start getting boring. After almost 17 miles of running, I was ready to hop on my bike for a nice spin. I always like to bike my run route to see exactly how far I ran. For some reason, the bike afterwards seems to take forever!!! Seriously, I complain about a 17 mile bike ride and I just ran 17 miles!!! Silly me. I was doing well for time but all of a sudden...FLAT!! I stayed calm and told myself that I know how to change flats (thanks to Karel, over and over and over again making me change tires before IMFL). In record time, I changed the flat in 8 minutes. I always struggle with putting the tire on the wheel after I put in the new tube. My 650 wheels don't make it very easy and I always end up with blisters on my small hands. I pedalled home for the last 4 miles after my flat and quickly mixed up a smoothie, jumped in the shower, prepared a piece of toast and headed off for my meeting. I barely made it in time but I guess accidents happen and I couldn't control the flat. Oh well. The meeting was good and I headed home to spend the day with my mom. She loved her presents for her b-day and my mom, dad and I spent some of the afternoon just talking. Of course I miss my brother but I love being around my mom and dad. In the early evening I was back to Dunedin to feed the cat and get myself ready for Sunday....the big day!! A century.....I'll let you know how that went in a bit :)
Congrats to Karel!!! With an ok performance in the TT he did AWESOME in the circuit race. The Georgia Cup race in Dahlonega was ridiculously difficult with mega climbing (7-20% grades) and some of the best riders around the area. Karel really wanted to do well at this National Cycling Calendar race so that he could get enough points to move up to Category 1 (the highest category). He was 10th in the circuit race and I think that is just amazing. Today he was 20th in the 160K Road race where him and Anthony worked together to get themselves over 7 huge gaps and 2 loops of really hard climbs. Congrats karel and anthony!!