Skip to main content

Recovery Week

A little swimming, a little running and very little cycling. That pretty much sums up my week. Only road on wednesday afternoon (about 25 miles) on the road bike and saturday morning w/ the Gearlink Group (66 miles). No two-a-days on Tuesday and Thursday like usual and swam Tues, thurs and friday. No brick workouts, around 22 miles running as of today and I'm feeling really refreshed. The first couple days this week were great but as the week went on, I got a little ancy and i felt like I needed to do more. Actually, not that I needed to do more, but that I wanted to do more. I was glad to be on seduza for the 3 1/2 hours on saturday morning but friday was tough. I planned on doing a long bike ride on Friday but because of the rain (which has been on and off all week!) I went to the Y and did a nice 4000 yard workout. Main set was tough but I was feeling good. I feel like the body is healed from my big volume weeks of training and more than anything, my mind is refreshed and I'm ready to go hard for my last 3 weeks before taper. I can't believe i leave for Kona in a month! Well, 34 days until I leave and 41 days until the BIG DAY!!!
Friday was a bit of a scary day for me. I had gotten my brake pads changed on thursday evening at the Hyundai dealership and also had my transimission flushed in the Hyundai. After a morning full of errands on Friday morning I was making a u-turn on 580/main street in Dunedin to get karel a coffee at Dunkin Donuts. Well, all of a sudden I pushed on the gas pedal so that I could quickly turn around as the oncoming traffic was heading my way and my car went no where!!! I pushed and pushed and my car just puttered on the road as my engine started smoking. You could hear the engine just reving and I was not moving. With a couple quick pushes I made my way into the Dunkin Donuts parking lot, put on my emergency brake, turned off the car and got out the car. Of course everyone was looking at my smoking car and some nice guy came out from Dunkin Donuts to pop my hood and check my car. I immediately called my dad (who else would I call than the person who knows everything) and he called Hydundai. Long story short, a hose from my transimission had a hole in it and when I tried to accelerate all the transmission fluid exploded out of the hose and on the engine and the othe parts under my hood. Well, after a long ride in the AAA truck w/ Hyndai being towed my dad was not very happy w/ Hyundai. They said it was a "freak coincidence" but there is not way that in less than 24 hours after I had my transmission flushed that there was accidently a problem with the hose that they used pressure to vacuum it out to flush my transmission. If anyone knows anything about this, please contact me cause we need to let Hyndai know that this wasn't a coincidence. of course the manager felt terrible about my close call w/ death in my Hyundai so they gave me a couple oil changes for free. My dad is just so upset and so is Karel. Nice to know that the two most important males in my life care about me so much. As for my mom, she's just happy that I'm ok and she is my best friend and the one I always talk to...and most of the time we talk about nothing about 2-3 times a day.
I'm in Atlanta right now w/ Karel and he is competiting in the US100K cycling classic tomorrow morning. There is a big 10K running race as well, but I am here for Karel and to help him out in the feed zone. I love going to his races cause I get to spectate and I don't have to race! I would really like to do the running race but that is ok, I'd rather watch Karel race w/ all the Pro Teams. This is a Pro only race but Karel was invited because he races in the Pro 1,2 category by himself. He hopes to race professional on a team next season so we are putting together his results and bio right now to send out to a couple teams.
We always take our time when we travel w/ lots of bathroom/stretch breaks but the traffic was really light and we made it here in no time. It is usually me talking but we really enjoy taking road trips together. We switched driving every couple hours and we always look for Starbucks breaks. Tonight we are staying at the Doubletree and we are excited to have a nice hotel stay. Right now we are in the Days Inn for a quick night's stay. We both really needed this trip so we are spending the day together outside of Florida and just enjoying ourselves in the Atlanta. We just love Georgia! This morning I ran about an hour on the 10K race course and wow is it hilly! This isn't Florida running!!! When it takes you 10 minutes to run up a hill, that is serious running. Karel is out riding right now so hopefully he is feeling confident for his race during his warm-up. I left before him so I'm guessing since he is still gone he is feeling good out there and loving the hills of Georgia.
Have a great Labor Day weekend everyone! Be safe and get some good training in!!! What could be better than a three-day weekend than a good weekend of training and a day off from work to recover!!!