Skip to main content

Fantastic Weekend

Saturday morning was a little cold starting off. However, it was the good chill which you wear arm-warmers and you are comfortable wearing them during the entire ride. Karel has a recovery week so he was taking his time getting ready. I fixed the coffee and had some toast and PB and I was out the door around 7am. I saw lots of people out exercising and the majority of the people were running. As I was warming up I saw lots of Gearlinkers riding. I was looking forward to the bridge repeaters and it's always nice when there are lots of people to keep you going. The plan was 12repeaters and although it was like the past weeks I felt great on them. The wind was blowing strong (south to north) so on the longer side of the sand key bridge, I struggled as I was climbing. Around #5 I saw Karel on his sharp new cervelo and he was matching in all red and black. Oh, the things that I notice as I am riding :) karel joined me for 2 climbs but I could tell that Karel wanted to be around the other guys. No worries, I was in my zone doing my own thing so I didn't mind having karel fly up the causeway to catch up with everyone else. Seriously, he makes it look so easy and effortless. He is a machine and I'm like the little engine that could. "I think I can, I think I can". I've been noticing how my emotions change so many times when I'm training. One minute I am so bored, next minute I'm loving it. Well, today was one of those days that I was just loving it. Karel headed home but I was still wanting to ride. I ended up with 50 miles and I really enjoyed being on my bike this morning. Karel and I switched crank arms and he changed my saddle and I fell so good on my bike! What a difference a small change of a crank arm can make. The rest of sat was low-key. A couple errands, a visit to Karel at his work and a trip to the grocery store. Sunday morning I met the group at publix for our sun morning ride. Well, the group was more like 4 people and counting me, it was no good for drafting. I didn't feel strong and the pace was a little fast for me, but I did my best as I drafted and pulled. I only did 40 miles cause my mind was feeling a run. Yes, a run. I remember so many bricks this summer when my legs felt heavy and sore. Well, with only 40 miles on my bike and a 9 min pace, I thought I had just finished my last long workout before an IM! My shins were hurting, my pace was slow and I had trouble getting my rhythm. I was a bit scared since this was my first time outdoors really running so I took my time for the first mile. I re-laced my shoes and walked for 10 minutes and before I knew it, I picked up the pace to a 8.5 min/mile pace and I was feeling it. I had no negative thoughts in my head and I tried to keep everything positive. It would have been really easy to think about my last two summers of running a 7.5 min/mile off the bike or an easy 4 mile run after a 100 mile bike ride, but I was so happy that I was running. I truely enjoy running. There is something I love about moving foward so quickly and just being comfortable with each stride. You are out in the environment and your mind can wander. Sometimes you think about life and sometimes you think about nothing. For me, I think about lots but for some reason I never remember it. Sometimes I am stressed or overwhelmed when I start a run but when I get home I feel so much better about everything. I hope everyone can get in a run, walk or even bike ride over the next couple of days. Regardless if you are traveling or spending time with family, perhaps the people you are with could use a chance to get outside (or in a gym) for a little stress-relieving workout. And if you need to release some energy from all those sweet treats, plan your workout for the early hours of the morning so that things don't come up and you can enjoy the rest of your day! Have a healthy day!