Skip to main content

Memory Slideshow

Yesterday morning I rode Seduza. It has been 4 months since I have ridden her and it felt great! I love my road bike but I have trained and raced a lot with Seduza. I have only had her since Sept 2006 but it feels like forever! Two Ironman's and many, many, many miles. To keep me motivated during my 54 mile ride yesterday I was thinking back to all the great experiences I had with Seduza. I think a lot during my rides and instead of getting depressed about how fast I was in the past, I think about all the great things I have done in my short racing career. I truely enjoy every moment of everyone of my races and I remember almost every moment (can't help a bonking moment here and there). I absolutely love what I put into every race and because of that, I believe in ghe art (and science) of training for races and not just racing. I love training, working hard for a goal and seeing myself progress as an athlete. No matter if I am cycling, running or swimming I want to push hard and see what I am capable of. I guess my memory slideshow during my ride yesterday had me thinking that we (athletes who look back on the past, and for whatever reason, get sad or feel emotional about fastness or past performances) should take each training opportunity as a new moment to get faster, stronger and healthier. If we keep comparing ourselves to our past we will fall short on experiencing the process of training and miss the moments of seeing ourselves grow as athletes. This morning I did a 10.5 mile run and felt great. A little leg soreness during the last 1/2 mile but other than that I was zoning out and again, my 44 min. turnaround point came before I knew it. The running is a bit slow right now (average 9 min miles, run was around 1:28 w/ around 5 min. walking before and 5 min after) but I wasn't too concerned. Again, to get me through this run I started thinking. Instead of thinking about my speed or overall places at running events, I started thinking of all the fantastic experiences I have had with running. Those experiences didn't come overnight and I am the first to say that things don't come easy for me. I was never the State champion swimmer or the person who wins a race without training. I worked my butt off with swimming but never won 1st place in a big race. I have never won a race and I have never signed up for something last minute and be able to pull out a win. I work so hard just like everyone else and therefore, I am thankful for great experiences. Perhaps we should all look at experiences rather than times, places and finishes. I think deep inside it is the experience (past and future) that keeps us training hard every day.
Enjoy the slideshow.

After Ironman 70.3 Florida...feeling pooped but loving it!
Before our ride around Lake Tahoe. My first ride out in another state, my first time climbing and the first time Karel and I traveled far together.

Around we go! How beautiful!!!

Climbing up Brasstown Bald Mountain with the Gearlink guys. 5K, 4700 feet above sea level. Average grade 11% and steepest grade of 24%. I fell on the climb UP the mountain at "the wall" but I made it up to the top. Who knows how I got down that mountain..it took me forever and I hade super hot breaks!


Kona...there's no topping that! From getting body marked w/ my parents volunteering, to checking my bike in. Finishing that race was amazing. And even with crutches to help me walk in order to travel home and enjoy my last day in Kona...it was all worth it racing injured (Ouch!)





Ironman Florida 2006. My first Ironman and everything went perfect. I enjoyed every moment and I had my good friend Carlos racing with me, Karel cheering me on and my parents realizing that this race was only the beginning to MANY more races to come.



The miami maraton was my first marathon. 3 months of training paid off but I totally bonked from miles 18-22. I think this was the start of my found appreciation for sports nutrition. Oh, I hurt for 2 weeks after this race.

The Boston Marathon was my second marathon. What an experience and ranks 1st of all-time best moments, with Kona as a close 2nd. This was the most unbelievable 26.2 mile race. There is non stop cheering of fans for the entire race and when you finish you feel like you just broke the world record. Oh, and it is freakin' hard! Heartbreak hill is only 1 of three big hills that this Florida girl, newbie runner was a little strucken by. And with 4 miles at the start being downhill, it was all worth the medal and mylar blanket (Still have!) after the race.




And last but not least, my first triathlon. WE have to start somewhere.