Skip to main content

What I learned in Biology lab

First to training. After I taught a grueling spin class I jumped on the treadmill for a 7 mile run. The first 40 min. were at an easy pace. I went 10 min at 7 (1% incline), 10 min at 7.2 and repeated that twice. why an easy pace? well, I had my medical terminology text book infront of me and I needed to study and retain information. I have a cardiovascular quiz tonight so where else to study about systemic and pulmonary blood flow than on the treadmill. Honestly, I don't think I could have gotten through graduate school without training for the Miami marathon in 2005. Almost 95% of my runs (with my longest being 3 hours, around 20 miles) on the treadmill I might as well had my laptop with me. When I ran at 24-hour fitness in Davie, Florida everyone knew me and my treadmill was filled with notes. If I am running at a comfortable pace I can read while I run but if I am doing intervals or something fast, there is no way I can focus, let alone think straight when I'm in the zone. so after 40 min. of studying/running, I bumped up the speed and I ran 5 min. at 7.5 mph pace. Not too shabby. decided to take it up a bit and did some intervals of 1 min at 8.1 mph and 30 sec at 7.5 mph. I guess I am slowly getting my speed back. Not trying to think of where I was last summer as I was training for Kona but rather where I want to be in May for IM Florida 70.3
So, now to bio lab. since I am surrounded with teenagers I feel very old in my classes. Yet when I am with my training partners, my age 25 is at least 10 years younger than most of my friends...who are crazy fast. As we were waiting for our lab projects to react, we had a little down time to talk. The 4 guys at the table behind me were looking at an Apple phone (I think that is the kind...the one with the internet and all the gadgets) and they were laughing really loud. I wanted to know what was so funny so they showed me. I thought I would pass along what was entertaining them (and me) in biology class. After you watch the first clip (watch for language!), check out the 2nd and 3rd ones. What a great education I am getting! haha
  • My new hair cut

  • Asian version

  • Jewish version