Skip to main content

Deep thoughts of Marni


As I am approaching the last month of school (THANK GOODNESS!) I have a lot of time to daydream in class. I try my best to pay attention in biology but sometimes my mind likes to wander. Among the many things I think about that I should be doing each day but seem to hardly get to, I pay close attention to the things people say around me. Here are some of my thoughts in the past couple of days.
  • Why do people think that those who are lean, toned or in shape are able to eat whatever they want. The way people look is reflective of what they eat.
  • Why do people think that because they exercise, they can eat whatever they want. When the average person consumes close to 1000 calories in excess everyday, it doesn't matter if you are "training" for an event to validate eating a big meal after exercise.
  • Why do people think that bread, carbs and fat is bad for you?
  • Why do people think that vegetarians can't be athletes...let alone endurance athletes?
  • Why do people think that have to run in order to register for a running event? Why not walk?
  • Why do athletes feel guilty about taking a day off of training or missing a morning workout and only work out once a day?
  • Why do gym enthusiasts believe that 3 days of exercise a week is sufficient enough to strengthen their heart?
  • Why do athletes think they have to eat before every workout?
  • Why do athletes think they don't have to eat immediately after a workout?
  • Why do I find such joy when explaining what my M-dot tatoo means to non-triathletes?
  • When my mom tells me that my m-dot tatoo is big, I smile when I tell her it is a big race.
  • Why don't people read food labels. If they only knew what they were eating?
  • Why do people think that exercise is suppose to be hard?
  • Why do people think that exercise can be easy?
  • Why do people think that loosing weight should be fast?
  • If we told children that school is pointless and they didn't have to be determined to succeed, would it then be ok to think that loosing weight would be easy?
  • Will I ever be able to change the world with their nutrition? I may have high hopes but perhaps I can make a difference.
  • If I continue with my education for 1 more year, does 12 continous years since my freshman year of high school qualify me to start changing the world? (I sure hope so cause this school stuff is getting to me!)
  • Why do I use the word "only" when I talk to non-triathletes about my training? I mean, only an 8 mile run is kinda a long distance to someone who can hardly run a mile. (I'll work on that)
  • Why did I convince myself that I never wanted to get married? Perhaps i needed to find someone who complemented me and didn't complete me.
  • Why am I so in love? My love for Karel gets stronger everyday.
  • Why do I love animals so much. I probably save way too many bugs and insects.
  • Why do I look at coupons and commercials and think I would save so much money if I bought 2 big macs for $3 instead of $6 for a 6" veggie sub.
  • Why do I feel I need to help so many people? Perhaps I take multitasking too the extreme.
  • Why do I feel such immense joy of surrounding myself with triathletes, cyclists and runners who share similar passions?
  • Why do I feel such happiness when I convince one person to try a running, cycling or multisport event for the first time?
  • Why am I so lucky to have such a supportive, caring and helpful family? After many emotional times, they still love me and put up with my many emotions.
  • Do we (triathletes) really need to be upset when we have a bad training session? Maybe we should look at the positives that we are able to have a bad session rather than not one at all.
  • Why do I think that every training session could be my last? I'm careful to never leave a dissagreement unsettled, an email unanswered and task unfinished.
  • I try so hard to live each day to the fullest but i must remember that there is always tomorrow. However, I must always look back on yesterday in order to feel accomplished and fulfilled.