Skip to main content

One busy Iron Girl!



This morning I woke up to this...one sleepy cat with a big yawn. Yes, I was tired too. I was on the bike at 7am for a 36 mile ride (more like a spin). As soon as I got home I had my smoothie w/ toast for breakfast and finished an article on pre-race nutrition which I had started a few days ago. Article was finished and then it was time for Biology. Study study study. I debated about going to the Y for a swim around lunch but I was super tired and not in the mood to get wet. Time for lunch. I needed to get ready for my Iron Girl Clearwater 5K/10K pre race clinic talk on nutrition, so I looked over my notes for a bit. Then back to Biology and a little global marketing (I have two exams next week, mon and wed). I decided instead of practing my talk again in the mirror I would go for a swim. What better than to occupy my time in the pool with lots of laps of thinking about my talk. I had to make a quick stop at the post office and then I was at the Y around 3:45pm. I actually thought about my entire talk in the pool and gave myself a few sets to keep me busy. Funny how you can actually be productive when swimming. Sometimes I think of articles and blog entries when i am swimming, running and biking. Swimming works the best cause I can really zone out...so long as I have my watch to keep track of my splits. I tend to forget what lap I am on after about a 100. My workout today went by really fast: 500 warm-up, 2 x 400 (100 easy, 100 fast), 3 x 300 (100 easy, 200 fast), 2 x 100 kick (fly, free w/ board) and 100 warm-down. A 2500 and I was out and ready to head home for dinner. I needed groceries so I made a stop at the store to get some tofu, eggs, mushrooms, bread, bananas, strawberries, cottage cheese, yogurt and milk. I had a yummy healthy tofu, mushroom, egg whites and cheese sandwich with cottage cheese for dinner. One more look at my notes and then I was out the door at 6:30 to head to Chainwheel drive for my talk. I was very honored to talk at the Iron girl pre race clinic for the event on sat. This was just what i needed to get me in the mood to race. I put a lot of pressure on myself to go fast and place well but because of my kona injury, I know I am not near my potential. I needed the Iron girl motivation from Judy and the other newbies to remind me why I love pushing my body. It isn't about the finishing time but about the lifestyle and healthy habits that I can share with many other people. My talk went great and I hope I educated the women about pre-race nutrition for 5K and 10K distance races. I will have an article on Iron Girl about this topic next month (check out the taste column on IronGirl.com for my latest article).
Well, time for bed now. What a quick day and I have a busy one tomorrow. Starting at 6am-7am, I have my morning swim and then I swim coach for the next hour. Sometimes I think my life is super busy but I just don't think I know of any other way...it is just works I guess :)