Skip to main content

Racing


A lot of people are getting into the beginning of racing season. Ironman Arizona is this weekend and i have a handful of friends who I will be watching on the internet this weekend. The Escape from Ft.desoto is also on sat and I will be racing with MANY of my local tri buddies. I wanted to wish everyone luck this weekend and EVERY weekend for all upcoming races. When I am getting ready for a race I get really excited. I do get nervous for running races but triathlons are a different story. I still get the nerves in my belly the night before the race and as I'm eating my pre-race snack I get a little less nervous..but still nervous. When I get in the car to drive to the race, so that I get there right when transition opens (I like getting to transition early!) I start to relax. Living in Florida, we are surrounded with great races. Therefore, I follow the line of bike racks, tri license plate frames, USAT stickers, M-dots and 26.2 stickers (isn't it great that we love what we do enough to stick it on our cars..My hyundai is proud to have an Ironman Finisher and Kona sticker on the car!). When I get to the race venue I am totally calm. Of course I set up my transition, walk away and then go back just to check, re-check and check one more time if i can quickly slide my shoes on, my brakes aren't rubbing and that my cat eye is set on zero. Also, I walk up and down transition because I am notorious (not so much anymore) for running PAST my rack. I was lucky to race Elite most of last year but that doesn't validate me running to the other side of the rack when my stuff was set up on the opposite side. Anyways, I am usually full of smiles, talking and jokes when I get to races. But that is how I get myself ready for a race. Some people are extremely nervous but they work well with the stress of uncertainty. Some people don't like to talk before and some people don't mind the rush (literally) of getting to the transition area right before it closes (I don't recommend that for the newbies). Then there are people who get into a deep zone for all races, no matter what the priority of the race. They don't want to be bothered, everything is thought about ahead of time and they want to be alone. It is hard for me to not want to talk to everyone before a race because I get so excited that I have so many of my friends around. It is hard for me to not say something positive because that is what i have to do for myself to get myself ready to race. But I think it is important that everyone be comfortable doing their own thing before a race. Ultimately, it is your race and we all prepare differently. Aside from nutrition, when I would love to be of assistance if you are having troubles, everyone has their own pre-race routine. Most of all, be sure to stay calm, enjoy the moment and have fun. If you arrive to the starting line un-injured and you are able to race with a goal in mind you have so much to be happy about to have a great race.
I found this quote on 100%runner.com and I thought it was just perfect for people looking for a little motivation....
MOTIVATION: Become your own cheering squad. Others can wish you luck and cheer for you, but only you can truly motivate yourself. You are the only one that can motivate yourself to get up for morning workouts, run your least favorite event, or go outside in the freezing cold weather to train. Try to keep your thoughts positive and never be afraid to test your limits. Even when things might not be going your way, continue to find ways to stay inspired. Your mind can energize you, keep you focused, and provide you with the discipline you need to reach your goals. Your inner drive will give you an extra push when you are feeling tired and encourage you to finish your toughest workouts. The mind and body needs to work together. This balance does not come easy. You must first get to know yourself and make the proper adjustments in your lifestyle that will allow you to stay positive and focused. Once you are able to do this, you will look forward to your workouts, and testing your training in time trials and competitions.