Skip to main content

Thank you Sponsors!

3 years ago I applied for sponsors for triathlons. I applied to everyone and anyone. I was new to the sport of triathlons and I felt that if I had a sponsor I would be more of a "cool and competitive" athlete. I guess having a sponsor would make me look like a better athlete. I didn't really care what I was given (if anything) but I thought wearing a jersey with a company name on it would make me competitive just like everyone else who had a sponsor. Well, I got nothing. I did get a letter from one company that I could pay money to get the products and the jersey...pay money to be on a sponsored team? That didn't make much sense. And when I have to pay hundreds of dollars for just one class in graduate school, the sponsorship idea went out of the window. I competed in my swim suit and if I remember correctly, I don't think I even had a short sleeve biking jersey to train in. I wore a tight t-shirt for my bike rides.
2 years ago I was finishing up with grad school and getting ready for Boston. I applied again to everyone and anyone and I received sponsorship from Amino Vital. I was thankful for the products and I believed in the amino acids. I felt so cool in my Amino Vital jacket and I guess I had "the look" of a competitive athlete. I was starting to get some good results which helped me get on the Amino Vital team but I didn't feel like the Amino Vital alone could take me where I wanted to be in this sport.

I finished up my 2006 year with Boston, Disney 70.3 and IMFL and I thought I'd give it another go around to apply for sponsors. Since finishing graduate school and taking my training to the next level, I started to realize that sponsorship is more than just be apart of a team or wearing a jersey with a logo on it. You are representing that company. You believe in the product, you use the product/gear and you know the company cares about you. As a frugal lifelong student (that is what I feel like right now) I know I am thankful for anything I can get even if it is at cost or %30 off the retail price. But when I was training for the Ironman World Championships last year I knew that I needed to have the best nutrition for my training and the best quality gear to get me through all the long workouts. At the beginning of 2007 I applied to several companies which i used their gear and I didn't hear back from many. I even emailed outback since I go there before all my races!! I didn't even get a free loaf of bread!!! :( Oh well, I will still go and enjoy my bread and sweet potato. But, I didn't hear back from Zoot and Hammer. I had fallen in love with the zoot gear after buying my first pair of cycling shorts in 2005. I loved the idea of having pockets in the shorts! Also, the clothes were super comfortable and since then, there are so many great products (wetsuits, socks, clothes, jersey's, trisuits, etc.) from zoot. I just love being on the Zoot team because I feel like I am with family. When I was in Kona I had zoot people cheering for me and they were everywhere! I get friendly emails from the staff at Zoot and Eli (the Zoot rep) is my twin (not really, but we do look alike!). They are so good at sending out congrats emails and keeping the whole team up to date with how everyone (Amateurs, Elites and Pros) is doing during the season. Last year the team bike was an Orbea and unfortunantly, the team bike (ordu) wasn't available in my size without being custom made. I would have loved to be on an Orbea but it didn't work out for Kona. However, the zoot team was cool with everything. I thanked them so much cause I know how important it is to have the team ride the bike of one of their partners. I was a little worried this year when I re-applied because the team bike is now a Scott (again, great bike) but this year I can't afford anything new. With paying almost $300 per credit for my online dietetic school starting in May and now taking 12 credits in-state, my concerns are on studying and school. When I told Zoot that I wasn't able to afford the bike they made an exception and told me that they would still love for me to be on the team. I nearly cried because not being a Zoot athlete would really be sad for me. I'm so happy to be on the team!!!

I love representing the company and because of them, I always feel extra comfortable and super cute in my clothes. The other day I received a suprise package from Zoot so in the middle of me studying for an exam I was excited to see some goodies from Zoot! Thank you Zoot so much for my gear!!

Of course everyone knows about my other Sponsor- Hammer Nutrition. Now this is a company that really gets it with the science and physiology of nutrition and training. I agree with everything they have and that is hard to come by with me and sports nutrition products. I couldn't be more happy to have them as my sponsor and because of Hammer, I really feel I have taken my training to the next level because of their great product line. Thank you Hammer!



For 15% off your first order, use my product code 97495 or mention my name.
  • Hammer Nutrition

  • Zoot Sports


  • Smudla thought she should get something too, so she created a new bed with my Zoot box.