Skip to main content

Training

All I have to do is train. School is over and I have no more stressful days of studying for exams or busy days of sitting in class, in between studying, training and working on nutrition and coaching. All is done and the grades are in...the hard work paid off!!!
A-Global Marketing
A-Medical Terminology
B-Biology
B-Biology lab
I will take a 3.5 gpa. Looking forward to my dietetic school that starts on 5/20. But I'm sure there will be more stressful and busy days but the information will be so informative, applicable and useful with everything I want to do in life.

I celebrated my first day of no more school (Thursday) with a great workout. I swam with the masters team at the Palm Harbor and it was another tought morning. 200 SKPS (200 swim, 200 kick, 200 pull, 200 swim). Then 10 x 50's catch up drill. Main set: 10 x 100's on 2 minutes. Not too bad of a cycle but the set was all pull. Even more painful on the lats, the set went 25 free, 25 back, 25 free, 25 breastroke. I was making the set on 1:40 but the harder I swam that last 25 breastroke to get more rest, the more I felt it in my lats. Then, 4 x 25's all out and I did them all butterfly.. 2500 yards and time to get myself ready for a ride.
I wanted to get in 30 miles but I ended up with 46 miles. I'm sure that happens with everyone at one time. Of course we all have days when we should have done more but today I just couldn't stop at just 30 miles. Instead of doing an out and back loop I decided to do a long loop. I didn't get tail wind until the last 10 miles but I didn't mind. I was working hard and I finished in 2 hours and 35 minutes.

As you know, Karel has been racing the USA crit series. This has been his goal all season (one of several actually) to race in the series (5 out of 7 races). Not only is he trying to hang in the USA crits with the TOP cyclists in the nation, but he has really been given a taste of what the Pro cyclists are capable of doing. Karel works full-time and Karel trains. Even with the full-time job, he has the passion, dedication and drive to push himself to the limits. Having not finished the Athens crit (which making it to half way is worth celebrating) he could have easily given up and told himself that he was in the wrong league with these guys. Well, since he was one of the many Pro 1 cyclists that was accepted to race in this series, he went to SC with Jeff and Curtis (teammates) to race on tuesday. I was ready for him to give it his all but I received a phone call after 30 minutes from the race start
...."I didn't finish. It was so hard I couldn't go any faster. I hurt so bad"
I guess I should have known that Karel wasn't going to finish these races but that isn't right...that isn't how I think. Can we really go into a race thinking that way? I will only give it my all until I get dropped since I know I will get dropped....NO. You can never think that way. Everyday is a new day. You never know what will happen in a race and when Karel saw that out of 150 starters, only around 40 people finished! He was pretty amazed that even the TOP guys aren't finishing. Whenever I race I always know that the race isn't over until I cross the finish line. You can't count yourself out and you can't assume that the person infront of won't eventually slow down. The winner of a race isn't the fastest person, it is the person who slowls down the least. Well, Karel had his 3rd race of the series and he was ready to business. The race was postponed for 2 hours because of a bomb threat..yes, a bomb threat!! Crazy stuff in South carolina. Well, all was good but the race was starting at 9pm at night rather than 7:30pm. The course had parts that were completely dark and again, Karel found himself at the starting line with 150 Pro 1 guys. Karel dug so deep that his power was 103% of his max and he got lapped by the main pack. He said he couldn't even touch his breaks or sip his water beacause he would risk getting dropped and once again, not finishing a race. I think this time Karel had had enough with not finishing a race. Digging, digging, digging..HE FINISHED!!!! 84th place out of 86th but that isn't counting in the 60+ people that didn't finish. I really don't know how he finds the strength to finish. When the body physically can't go any harder, he finds something in him to push to the finish line. Congrats Karel...2 more races to go!!!!
  • Results from SC