Skip to main content

Weekend Training!

What a relief. It isn't that I finished my last weekend of training before this week of tapering for Ironman Florida 70.3 (5/18) but I feel so good that I successfully trained for the last month without any "kona injury" pain. And to finish this past weekend without any soreness, aches or pains really made me so much more thankful (and excited) that I am racing on sunday. I am super ready to get out there and leave it all at Disney. I know it will be hot and my competition is strong (I gave in last night and although I tried not to, I googled some of the 115 girls in my new 25-29 age group. Oh my, these girls are fast!!!) but I have to be confident about my training. I know I often dream big with my race goals, but I have to remember that the body is only capabable of pushing to the limit by which I trained it to reach. I like to tell myself that my body is ready for X-time but anything can happen come race day. I also set several goals before a race so that I can't set myself up for negative thinking after I cross the finish line. Of course, I always want to have fun but it is so important that everyone crosses the finish line with a thought that they just did something unbelievable. Even if it is a sprint triathlon, the fact that you trained yourself to do something like a triathlon is a major accomplishment. Even if you have never done an Ironman or 70.3, or even an olympic distance tri, just think about how your non-triathlete friends respond when you tell them about your weekly (or weekend) training routine for an upcoming tri.
Sat morning was my last long run and I did 10.8 miles. I felt comfortable and strong and although I was super hot I tried to keep my breathing under control. It is very important that you stay well-hydrated during a long run or race. when the body begins to get dehydrated, the heart must pump faster and harder to send blood to the working muscles for cooling. Not a good thing when you are already increasing the heart rate to get to the finish line. I got back to my place and checked the watch. 1:29. I didn't expect to run 8:14 min miles but I'll take it. I grabbed my bike and rode 21 miles at an easy pace to spin my legs. I was super hot even on the bike and the flat tire I got at mile 18 made me even hotter as I stood on the sidewalk of the road to change it. I was surprised I didn't get frustrated (who likes changing a flat tire anytime, but especially at the end of a workout) and if anything, I kinda saw this as a positive thing. I am totally comfortable changing tires but my 650 wheels on seduza make it a little hard to get the tire off the wheel to get out the flat tube. However, I am not going to waste my energy in a race if I get a flat tire. It is important to understand that anything can happen in a race and you just have to move on. plenty of races have been won by pros who have gotten flat tires. Well, this was just an opportunity to clock myself (3 minutes) to change the flat. I probably could be faster but I try to just stay calm. I think karel can change a tubular in around a minute (I have clinchers).
I made a great smoothie and started on the packing in my place. I worked on an article for BT.com which I really enjoyed writing. It is for the performance members only but this one was really practical for everyone. i wrote about energy drinks and how they compare to sport drinks. I learned a lot! After looking through PubMed (which has the latest and greatest research studies) I was surprised to see how many recent studies have been published on energy drinks and caffeine.
Sat night I was super tired and went to bed before 9:30. Sunday morning came quickly and as I headed on my bike at 7am I realized that I had a little taste of Disney for my windy ride. It was SUPER windy. I was getting blown all over the memorial and sand key causeway and because I rode along the water (south from clearwater to st.pete) I had wind to my side the whole way there and back. I did 46 miles totalled but only averaged around 17mph. I never worry about my speed because when I put my race wheels on seduza I know I will give it my all for the bike (well, a hard push with some energy left in my running legs). After the bike I really didn't want to run. I was SOOOO Hot!!! However, I didn't talk myself out of it and I went for a 3.5 mile run. Just a comfortable pace but I think I ran a little faster than i should have. I got back in around 30 minutes and finally..I was done!! I had a big glass of cold water and I wish I could jump into a cold pool! I am so happy that Karel and I's new apartment has a big pool...yay!!
here's a nice sweaty pic after my sunday workout!


Smudla enjoyed watching me make my smoothie.
Time to get back to work now..nutrition, articles and then coaching this afternoon. This week is going to fly!!!!