Skip to main content

National Donut Day

Please....like I am really going to write about donuts. :)
Actually, this is a perfect day to talk about some of the delicious food choices that are featured on every other TV commercial. Maybe I am just hungry when I watch TV in the evenings but I can't tell you how many yummy ads I see on tv. Yummy, that is, until I check the nutritional value on the computer.
So, if these ads are tempting even the healthiest eater (ME) I am sure every person reading my blog (and more) are contemplating about some of these sweet treats I see on TV. Not only are there sweet treats but I have seen some "healthy" ads which make me wonder....are these foods really as healthy as they seem????
Dunkin Donuts:
1 Glazed Donut
Sure, there are no trans fats in the donut but I ask you to read the list of ingredients and correctly pronounce everything that is in the donut that you are eating. And, with 21% of the donut being Saturated fat (at 4.5 grams) and 90 calories from fat, I think you may reconsider your 230 calorie sweet treat
Nutrition Facts
Calories 230
Calories from Fat 90
Total Fat 10g 15%
Saturated Fat 4.5g 21%
Sodium 320mg 13%
Total Carbohydrates 30g 10%
Dietary Fiber 1g 5%
Sugar 12g
Protein 4g

Ingredients: Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Palm Oil, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil and Partially Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil with TBHQ and Citric Acid Added to Help Protect Flavor, Sugar, Dextrose, Contains 2% Or Less Of The Following: Yeast, Salt, Maltodextrin, Whey, Soy Flour, Mono- & Diglycerides, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Soy Lecithin, Nonfat Milk, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Propylene Glycol, Annatto, Turmeric, Sodium Caseinate, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Gum Arabic, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Xanthan Gum, Agar, Carrageenan, Citric Acid, Egg.


Wendys NEW Strawberry Shake
I must say that this one looks rather good after a long bike ride with karel. However, I think I will continue with my pancakes and smoothie than filling myself with a drink filled with sugar.
1 large strawberry shake at Wendy's clogs your arteries with 8 grams of saturated fat, .5 grams of trans fat, 13 grams of total fat and 79 grams of sugar. That is enough sugar to give even the healthiest athlete diabetes! And since you are probably thinking this shake would be perfect after a workout to hold you over until your post-workout meal, how about feeling hungry after sipping down 520 calories.
Again, check the ingredients to see what you are really drinking...
Strawberry Frosty™ Shake:
Vanilla Frosty (milk, sugar, corn syrup, cream, whey, nonfat dry milk, guar gum, mono and diglycerides, natural and artificial flavor, cellulose gum, carrageenan, calcium sulfate, disodium phosphate, dextrose, annatto color, vitamin A palmitate), Strawberry Shake Syrup (water, high fructose corn syrup, sweetened strawberries [strawberries, sugar], corn syrup, natural flavor, citric acid, xanthan gum, potassium sorbate [preservative], red 40, blue 1). CONTAINS: MILK.

Arbys Smoothie Shake
When Karel and I were moving we stopped at a gas station to fill up the track and attached to the station was an Arby's. Karel was hungry (as usual) and ordered a berry delight swirl shake. I had a sip and knew right away that it wasn't healthy. How'd I know? It tasted WAY too good to be healthy. Ok, so healthy food can be tasted but you know you are drinking sugar when you just can't get enough of it.
It wasn't until Karel looked it up on the computer that we realized how "good" it really was. I think we would need to go out for a couple century's to use up the energy from that drink. Actually, we'd rather stick with our post workout smoothies and something a little more healthy in our bloodstream.
I'm not going to lie..it was good but Karel and I know better for next time!

Berry Delight Swirl Shake:
Calories: 651
Calories from Fat:140
Fat: 16 Saturated Fat: 9 Trans Fat: 0.5
Sodium: 439
Carbs: 112
SUGAR!!!! AHHHHHHH 100g


Papa Johns Pizza with the NEW Whole Grain Crust
Since we all love pizza and we know whole grains are healthy, here is the new slogan for the new whole grain crust:
Our hand-tossed, 100% whole wheat crust is made from the superior-quality ingredients you expect from Papa John's. It's prepared using 100% whole grains and clear-filtered water to create an authentic crust that's delivered to our stores fresh, never frozen. The result is a full-bodied crust that's a perfect balance of flavor and texture.
I like thin crust pizza due to the crunch and flavor with an extra saving in calories from less dough in the crust. So I checked the nutrition to see if this whole grain crust was as healthy as it is claimed to be and here is what I found:
Original Crust (132grams/slice) of a 14" pizza comes in at 300 calories, 11g fat, 3.5 g saturated fat and sodium at 750grams (of course high in sodium because it is fast food/restaurant food).
Thin crust (96 grams/slice) for a 14" pizza comes to 240 calories, 13 grams of fat, 3.5 grams of fat and 500 mg sodium. I like to ask for light on the cheese when I order pizza but I ask for extra veggies on a vegetable pizza. My favorite place for pizza is Hungry Howie but I heard that Mellow Mushroom (there is one here in JAX) has a lot of great vegetarian options.
So now to the whole wheat crust pizza (132grams/slice) for a 14" comes to 290 calories and 12 grams of fat. 3.5 grams of saturated fat and 730 mg sodium. We all know that just because it is whole grain doesn't mean there are less calories but I guess adding whole grains to the diet through pizza is a good reason to order the new whole grain crust. I thought that there would be more fiber (only 5 grams in whole grain and 2 in the original, 1 in the thin crust) in the whole grain so in that case, I'd rather make my own pizza with my own high fiber bread/wrap, marinara sauce and whatever toppings I choose. Plus, I save a lot of money and the 30 minutes to wait for the pizza can be occupied with me preparing my "pizza" the way I like it.

Let me know if you have any other questions as far as foods to emphasize and de-emphasize. I don't like saying good and bad foods unless they are heart unhealthy, but i guess in this case, there are a lot of bad foods out there.