Skip to main content

Just training

I've been enjoying myself lately. No races, just training. I am totally exhausted by 9am and I don't really have goals when I am training. The best part is that I am actually sticking to a routine and finally, I feel like I have the week planned out as far as when I will swim, bike and run and the type of workout I will be doing every day. To me, I need a schedule.
It is funny because Karel is the total opposite. He seems to get his workouts done and he gives more than 100% but if you'd ask him what time he is waking up the next morning he would say he will wake up when he is ready to get up (which is usually around 6-6:15). As for me, the alarm is usually set for 5:20am and I usually set the alarm around 7pm the night before, as I am packing up my swim bag for the next days workout or getting out my running/biking clothes. For me, I find that if I have everything ready then night before it is so easy to just wake up, turn on the coffee and make my way out the door. Although Karel and I have different ways of getting ourselves out the door to train, it is always a great feeling to see the other person on the road and not expect it. I just love running outside and seeing Karel riding. It isn't until I wave to him and yell his name that he actually sees that it is me. Then again, sometimes I am the one in the zone. :)
Since I am just training for anything in particular right now, it has also been great to focus on nutrition consults, the wedding and school. I am actually using my training as a way to keep me busy during these last few weeks before the wedding (OCTOBER 26th!!!).
I am also doing things that I normally wouldn't do, such as training with groups and driving places to train. I don't mind that change in scenery and along the way of just training, I have met a lot of nice people and have finished a lot of tough workouts.
The swim workouts have been extremely tough. There is very little thought about triathlons during these workouts cause they are long and hard. Well, I guess triathletes train long and hard but the average yardage of 4000 is something new to my triathlon training.
Today's swim set:
400 swim
200 kick
5 x 50's (easy, medium, fast, medium, easy)
Main set:
800 pull
200 Kick
600 swim (every 3rd lap fast!)
200 kick
400 swim (every other lap fast!)
200 kick
200 fast

10 x 25's on :45 (working on butterfly kick off the wall and streamline as far as you can go)
(Total 4100)
After the swim I ran 6 miles and I couldn't help but think....wow, I just love training!


This is after a "just training" workout with my friend Kellie who is training for the Amelia Island half ironman, which is this Sat. Last sat we did a 45 mile bike and 3 mile run and 2 weekends ago we did a 60 mile ride and 3 mile run. As usual, the best way to finish off a workout is with a nice dip in the ocean.





Although I love training, I think my excuse for training for fun for 3-4 hours on a sat morning is so that I can get in the ocean and play like a fish.