Skip to main content

Speaking of change...

If you think this blog is about me you are wrong. Baby steps....change for me takes time :)

As for my other half (wedding countdown 41 days!), Karel has added a new addition to our cycling family by taking up a new sport. As if these bikes weren't enough for him....






He now has a mountain bike (no pic yet..the bike seems to stay at the Trek Store).
Karel is now a mountain biker here in Florida. According to my dad Karel is a little clueless if he thinks he can ride on mountains here in Florida but I think karel is proving my dad wrong.
Karel got his mountain bike about 2 weeks ago and has fallen in love with it. His first moment of love at first sight (or ride) was at the Trek Conference in WI. Ever since the text message "I have to get a mountain bike" I think Karel was feeling the effects of his long cycling season.
Karel is ready for his base training which means lots of hours on the bike in the winter. He still wants to race but the motivation to train anaerobically/hard is slowly dwindling. I think we all get that way during the season. In an effort to keep things interesting and me on edge, Karel decided to do his first mountain bike race on sunday (yesterday).
So, with one day of practice on Fri (at Hannah park in Jax beach) with a few of the Trek guys who mountain bike, Karel was really excited for the race. Seeing that he fell 5 times on Friday, I was a bit nervous for his race on Sunday. I am all for endurance and adventurous sports...but not with our wedding 1 month away! As I headed to the beach on sat morning for my training, Karel headed to Gainesville to pre-ride the course.
On sat evening Karel came home a bit tired and extremely hot and said the course was tough. He said there were lots of people out at the course since this race was the first Mountain bike race of a series of races. A series of races I'm sure Karel will be doing.
On sunday morning I headed out for a 11.5 mile run+1 hour spin on my bike as Karel headed to Gainesville with Alex. I wanted to go with Karel but unfortunately, studying took all my attention this weekend since I have my first microbiology exam on wed. :(
Not sure of the logistics of a mountain bike race but according to Karel everyone starts in a wide field and you sprint to the trail which is only a few riders wide. Karel had trouble clipping in which caused him to be at the back of the pack as they entered the loop course. I think the race was about 90 min (not sure) but Karel said he gained a lot of positions on the climbs. I think there was around 50 people in his wave..but again, I am not sure of the details. Karel raced in the 30-39 sport category (I think) and after 3 grueling loops with only a camelback to hydrate him, Karel placed 6th place in his first mountain bike race!
I am glad Karel made it back in one piece. I am happy he has decided to pursue a new sport because it makes him happy to do something challenging. As for me, I am still enjoying the challenge of trying to descend on my aerobars so I think I will stick to tri's for now. Or until Karel talks me into a mountain bike and I lose all my fears and join the guys on the trails. I think that day won't come anytime soon :)