This will be my new tag line for the healthy meals that I make...
THAT CAN'T BE HEALTHY?????
For Karel's b-day I decided to make him something besides a cake. This came out so good and you won't believe it until you taste it. I'm sure I could play with the recipe a bit and mix in some more goodies or hide some more nutrients in there.... but this one will really make your tummy happy.
This is another great desert to make with your kids and because it is a lot healthier than a boxed brownie mix or homemade brownies, this would also be a great treat to bring to parties, functions or events when you are always worried that there are going to be too many unhealthy foods for you to stick to your healthy eating habits. My advice: when going to events where there is a good chance there will be unhealthy foods, be sure to bring something healthy. This will be your go-to-dish to make the bulk of your plate. Then you can eat a little of everything so that you can stay within your calorie guidelines without feeling guilty that you are eating foods which you normally wouldn't eat.
2 cups crushed graham crackers (I used cinnamon)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup skim milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup instant oatmeal (not cooked)
1/4 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
1/3 cup walnuts
1/4 cup raisins
1. Crush the graham crackers.
*this was the fun part. At first I used a wooden spoon but decided it would be more fun to just crumble the crackers with my hands. So long as the kiddos wash their hands, this would be the fun part for kids. Also, it is a good stress-reliever to play with food :)
2. Combine cinnamon with graham crackers in a mixing bowl.
3. Stir in the milk and add vanilla. At this point, the graham crackers take the place of flour.
*There is NO flour in this recipe!!!
4. Combine chocolate chips, oatmeal, walnuts and raisins in a small bowl and add to the large mixing bowl.
5. Stir in the chips, walnuts and raisins.
*You can melt chocolate before combing with walnut and raisins. Since I am not much of a chocolate fan I decided the chocolate taste would not be so overwhelming if there were only pieces of chocolate chips in the brownies rather than being melted in. You can also use different nuts if you choose.
6. Pour into a non-stick 13 x 9 baking pan (I first sprayed it with spray Pam) and level mixture with a spatula or spoon.
7. Cook for 350-degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Check mixture at 10 minutes to estimate your finishing time. You will smell it when it is ready.