Skip to main content

What a week

As usual, another week down, another week closer to my wedding.
But among the happy times of counting down and finishing up a few last details, I still try to squeeze in everything I do which makes my life very eventful.

For 1 whole week Karel and I were without AC. Actually, our AC worked but it was stuck on 86-degrees. I didn't mind it at first but the evening was just awful. And since I am spending a lot of time at my computer I was super hot in my hot apartment. We first bought a fan so we could get through the night without waking up all sweaty but then when maintenance came last mon morning we were so happy that he said he fixed it. After I came home from school on that Monday afternoon I realized it was not fixed and something was really wrong. We gave it a week because we were told it needed some time to cool off our 3rd floor apartment but I think 7 days was a bit too long.
On Mon, Karel explained all the AC details to the maintenance man and once again the AC was being worked on when I was away at school. Finally, on Mon afternoon...we had air! Oh the relief. We only keep it at 76-degrees but just to feel the air after we come home from training is so welcoming. I am a big stickler on turning off lights, not letting water run, not leaving the fridge door open and doing anything I can to "be green" but September in Florida is not a fun time to be without AC (I thank my parents for teaching me to be environmentally friendly :).

During the weekend of no-AC I was busy studying for my first Microbiology exam. Honestly, I am so TIRED of school. I have been in school for 8 years since HS and well, I am just tired of sitting in the classroom. However, I now have a career path and knowing what will come in the next couple of years is really helping me sit in class from 9:30-12:20 and 12:30-1:40 on Mon and Wed. The exam went well, I got a B and I am happy with that grade for my first exam. I know how interesting Microbiology sounds to everyone but really, I am more looking forward to biochemistry next semester. A little closer to my area. Bacteria doesn't excite me as much as carbon bonds and macromolecules.

Well, now that my classes are over this week(I love thurs-sun!) I get to catch up on everything I don't finish during the week. Primarily, I get to go to the grocery, clean and do laundry. Errr....laundry and cleaning :(

Last night was interesting because there was a bad storm and we lost power at 8pm. The fish and smudla did not appreciate the darkness and loud noises of thunder and we were a bit concerned when the power stayed off for the next few hours.
As Miss Planner, I couldn't believe I didn't have a hurricane/black-out kit on hand and Karel and I were scrambling around for a lighter, matches or a flashlight. No batteries in the flashlight, I couldn't find any matches but I did find a lighter with the help of my cell phone. No, I didn't call the lighter, I needed some kind of light to find it.
With the candles lighting up our bedroom, we decided to relax and read. Karel read a Floyd Landis book and I was reading Fitness magazine. Smudla LOVED it that we opened up the window for some kind of breeze but the noises of people outside, gathering in the rain, was a bit annoying. I decided to call it a night at 9pm but I had a lot of trouble sleeping. Finally, at 12:30pm the electricity came back on and once again we had air. The fish were also happy because they were without oxygen (bubbles) for 4 1/2 hours :(

So, now that the exciting stories are over, I will talk about how TIRED my body is right now.
The running is going well, getting on my bike mon-thurs is tough due to school but swimming has consumed my life. I only swim twice a week (tues and thurs, 6-7) but it is tough, tough, tough.
Here are the two sets that have really done it for me this week. The only thing that gets me through these sets is thinking like a swimmer rather than a triathlete. I get to a point during my swim workouts where I feel like I am running out of oxygen, my arms are simply going in circles and if I keep going, the guys who are lapping me will eventually slow down.

Tues:
400 warm-up
8 x 75 on 1:20, continuous IM (fly, back, breast. Free, fly, back. Breast, free, fly.etc.)
3 x (4 x 100). #1: 1:30 #2: 1:25 #3: 1:20 #4 1:15
100 recovery swim between each 4 x 100 set.
400 for time (I did this on 5:30).
200 warm-down
(40 min. interval run post-swim)

Thurs:
Warm-up: 200 swim, 200 kick, 200 pull
8 x 75 on 1:20, continuous IM (fly, back, breast. Free, fly, back. Breast, free, fly.etc.)
Main Set:
2 x 400's (150 swim, 50 kick, 200 free) rest 30 sec.
3 x 300's (100 swim, 50 kick, 150 free) rest 30 sec.
4 x 200's (100 swim, 50 kick, 50 IM) rest 30 sec.

Warm-down 100
Total: 3800 yards (1 hour!!!)
(15 mile bike post-swim. I easily could have slept on my bike I was sooooo tired!. I saw karel doing 5-mile intervals on the route I was biking on and he looked really strong. I looked pretty pathetic and my aerobars were putting me to sleep).