Skip to main content

Mountain bike race...CAMPY'S first trip!



We set out early on sun morning. Karel and I woke up at 5:30am and after having my morning cup of coffee, I prepared our cooler of fruit, yogurt, water bottles and PB&J sandwiches. However, before we set out for our 3 hour trip, I wanted to get in a quick 30 min run. I just love early morning running outdoors! After my run from 6:30-7 I packed up our stuff in my car and off we went. Karel, me and CAMPY!
We met Karel's friend Alex at the Trek store and he was with his gf Lenore. It was nice to travel with some other people and instead of me just blabbering to Karel for the car ride to Tallahassee, I had two other people to talk to me. It seemed like a long car ride to the race venue but by 10:30 we were ready to get out of the car. Campy was so good in the car and he spent most of the time finding the best lap to sit on as he cuddled himself to sleep. He's such a good doggy!
While Alex and Karel warmed up, Lenore and I walked Campy all around the race venue. The race was at Tom Brown Park and there was so much action going on. Food vendors, a playground, lots of ground to walk, a BMX course, the mountain bike race, frisbee....oh, and LOTS of dogs! Campy made sure that his 11.5 lb body made the biggest bark and with his first bike trip, he made quiet an impression on EVERYONE. I can't tell you how many people wanted to pet and hold Campy. I think Campy is one special dog but the fact that so many people thought he was sooooo cute, I was just proud to be his mommy.
As for the mountain bike race (the other reason why campy and I went to the race), Karel did awesome! The course was really hard. Not sure if it was just extremely technical but he said it was very difficult due to the layout of the course. I always enjoy seeing Karel in his zone and giving his all for his races but I thought it was neat to see Karel on a BMX course. Part of the mountain bike course was on a BMX course so with the 3 loops of his race, he had to complete the ups and downs of the BMX course and attempt his first time at BMX-ing.
Campy and I watched the whole race and we did a lot of walking. After we saw Karel finish up his loop we had about 25 min to wait until we saw him again. Campy was so tired after the first loop but he was almost out by loop 2. Good thing about Campy is that he gets instant energy as soon as he gets outside so after relaxing in the front seat of the car for a few minutes he was ready to walk around. Near the 3rd loop Campy was pretty tired and so was his owner. It was a long morning for a 1 1/2 hour race but we were super excited to see Karel finish 3rd! He was nearing the finish in 2nd place but some guy passed him near the end without Karel even knowing that other guy was right behind him.
And of course, Campy and I were there to meet Karel at the finish and no matter what place he got, we both were there to give him a big kiss. Of course, Campy's kisses are so much more cute than mine.
I thought pics would do this blog more justice and of course, who can resist a puppy at his first bike race. Karel and I keep telling each other how thankful we are to have Campy in our life. Already, he is a great addition to our family and he brings such big smiles to our faces. The only bad part is that it is SO hard to say good-bye to those beautiful big brown eyes.