I talk about my go-to meal all the time but how about a go-to soup!!!
Even for us Floridians who are braving our 49 degree early mornings (brrrr) this soup is packed with vegetables and very little sodium for a perfect comfort dinner.
Any chopped veggies you choose (mushrooms, chickpeas, beans, corn, onions, green peppers)
2 small red potatoes (diced). *you can also use frozen cubed hasbrowns (unseasoned)
1/4 cup egg noodles (not cooked)
3 diced Roma tomatoes
1 can low sodium vegetarian soup (for the flavor)
Vegetarian or lean meat
1 tbsp. olive oil
1. Fill up a medium-size pot with a little more than 1/2 water. Add can of soup and olive oil. (be sure factor in adding your veggies before adding in the water. If you want more of a stew, add less water).
2. Turn burner to medium heat.
3. Add veggies, tomatoes, noodles and potato to soup.
4. Add vegetarian meat (I recommend the Boca crumbles, about a cup) or lean meat (de-thawed chicken breast, sliced).
5. Cook for about 8-15 min. Stir occasionaly and check veggies and lean meat to make sure everything is cooked.
6. Add chili flakes, pepper and garlic (fresh) for seasoning.
7. Top w/ a little cheese.
*Karel goes to a local bagel shop every few weeks (at Jax beach) where they sell bagel chips. Not the processed kind! Rather than using bread or crackers, we buy fresh bagel chips (they use old bagels and toast them and sell them in a huge bag for $3!) for a crunchy topping.