Skip to main content

Staying indoors

I don't know how you all do it? I am not going to question why you do it because you have no other options. However, how you do it every single day, every single weekend just blows my mind.
This weekend we experienced the 20's and it was cold! I have good cycling clothes for about 40-50-degree weather but nothing to get me through a 30-degree morning of outdoor training.
My schedule had me doing a 14 mile run on saturday and a 70 mile ride + 30 min run on sunday. I knew Saturday morning outside was out of the question because I don't have good running gear for a cold long run.
My plan for the weekend was to mentally tough it up and run on the treadmill for 14 miles. I "ran" my way through graduate school (literally) so I am use to LONG runs on the treadmill. I remember having piles of notes and notebooks on the treadmill during my 15, 18 and 20 mile runs. Back then (2006) I didn't really know what I was doing so among my piles of papers I only drank water and powerade for all those miles. Silly me. But I did retain a lot of information and I was always prepared for my exams (especially in my adv. exercise physiology and cardio physiology class! :).
I arrived at the Y at 6:55 and stayed in my heated car until the Y opened at 7. I headed upstairs to the treadmills, rather than running on the treadmills in the main gym. I didn't want too many people looking at me all crazy and I didn't want to steal the treadmill from anyone for 2 hours.
The run went by super fast. I broke it up into a few sets of intervals so that I wasn't running more than 15 minutes of the same speed. I kept the pace at around 7.3-7.5mph and did a few 1 min pick-ups at 8.5mph. I broke each set into 30 minutes so it was more like 15min pace, 10 x 1 min pick-ups (40 sec on,20 sec off). With the TV on my treadmill to occupy me (I didn't have that luxury during graduate school!) I switched between the MTV made Hip Hop Dance competition and the food network.
After 1 hour and 52 minutes and 14.4 miles later I was off the treadmill and feeling better than I thought I would. I was really hot and I went through two bottles of HEED + aminos and I was so ready to cool off.
Speaking of cool....
My friend Laura and I decided to swim after my run (and her spin class + 2 mile run) so were got on our suits and headed to the pool. I missed my swim on Fri because the pool was being fixed for new drains so I decided I would do an easy 30 min. swim after my run.
When I got to the pool and sat at the edge of the lane to put my cap on, my feet began to freeze. I asked the lifeguard what the temperature of the water was and they said 72 degrees!!! BRrrrrr. I guess they had to refill the pool and the heater takes time. I made it for a cold 1650 and headed right to the hot tub. So I went from being super hot, to taking an ice bath, to loosing my muscles in the hot tub.
After my morning at the Y I was ready for home!
Karel took Campy to work on sat morning so I stopped by the Trek store to pick up my doggy. Campy loves being the shop dog and all the customers love seeing a cute little puppy at the door to greet them. He likes to give a little bark every now and then but then he wants attention :)
Later that morning Campy and I visited Karel after taking a 1.2 mile walk to the shop. We love visiting Karel at work and even when he is super busy (Like this sat) it is nice to stop by and say hello.

So, now onto Sunday.
I got dressed at 645 for my bike ride at 8. I told Karel I would tough it up outside this morning, even though it was 30 degrees when we woke up. The high today was 68 so I knew it would have to warm up fast.
I dressed early (before I ate my oatmeal and drank my coffee) because I wanted to walk Campy before my long ride. Karel was heading out for a 3-4 hour ride and after his ride on the trainer on sat, I knew he was not going to stay inside today. He will ride in any weather (except pouring rain) to avoid riding on the trainer. When I took Campy around our complex my hands were freezing, even with my giordana gloves and jacket. I was layered up and still cold on our walk.
After eating my breakfast I knew it was the trainer for me.
I told Karel I would stay on it for however long I could take of it (this would be my 3rd time on a trainer) and then do my run. I thought about riding the trainer and then going outside on my bike but I didn't want to mess with all the changing of clothes, layering and getting ready for 2 rides.
To sum up the ride, it went better than I thought. I still don't know how people ride for 3,4 or 5 hours on a trainer!!!?? Now that I train with watts, it is tough to ride a trainer (or outside) because I always have to pedal and apply power to the pedals. I can't coast outside and I can't spin fast. I have to always push on the pedals to reach my right power zones. It is tough work! Plus, I have to pay attention to my HR and cadence which correlate to my power. I really like this new way of training because it is different from what I am use to and I can really tell that I am already getting stronger on my bike.
To pass the time, I broke the workout into 30 min sections. I did 15 min. tempo, 5 min. recovery and 10 x 1 min in and out of the saddle for each min. I only did the 10x1 min in the big chain ring because I am working on training my fast twitch fibers (or what of them I have) because I am a big pusher on the bike (love that big chain ring!).
I ended up doing 2 hours and 25 min. I can't believe it! Campy slept on the couch next to me the whole time and I watched lots of shows on my DVR. Right now I am into House Hunters and It's me or the Dog. Both great shows for me to watch right now, even though we are far from buying a house right now. :)
So, after the sweaty (and I mean SWEATY!) ride I let Campy out for a few quick pees and off I went to run.
I felt really good on the run and ran 50 min. I didn't mean to run that long but the time went by a little fast and when I was at 20 min. I looked at my watch and realized I was far from home. On my way home, just a few minutes from my apartment I saw Karel and Campy walking so that just brightened my morning. We walk Campy a lot and he just loves it!
So, what a weekend!!! And after the cold, cold weather we hit 68 degrees today!!!! It was SO HOT. I had to get out of the indoors so Karel and I took Campy to the park for a nice walk. Campy lead us all around and it was nice for us to all be together.
Ok-finally I crashed. Super tired and I just sat on the couch for the rest of the day today. I didn't study, didn't do any work and I ate my homemade pancakes.
Now, if only I could see some snow outside I would feel better for my weekend indoors....