Skip to main content

Hello from Reno!

After 11 hours of traveling we finally made it to Reno. I am not a fan of traveling by plane because I am not in control. I love to travel but I like to be able to have a say in...when we leave, what we eat, where we stop, etc. It is just the way I am but when it comes down to it, I can adapt. Especially, since we are on Vacation.
For lunch we ate at the aiport in Tampa. Karel picked up bagels from Panera on Wed morning and we each made a bagel sandwich. Karel had a chicken sandwich and I made a PB, nuts and raisin sandwich. I also packed two giant bags of trail mix, a bag of grapes, two apples, 2 granola bars, a few sport bars and our water bottles. I think that all lasted us until dinner time. We flew on Southwest which had great service and lots of snacks and beverages but no TV or radio. I read my nutrition book and Karel is almost finished with his book From Lance to Landis.
At dinner time we had a 3 1/2 hour layover in Phoenix. I had my choice of a burrito at a Mexican grill or a salad at Wendy's.
The Mexican grill had a vegetarian option but I am always hesistant to order "vegetarian" when there is a grill in the back where the veggies are cooked on the same hot stove as the meat. No thanks. Plus, for $5 I am really getting a high calorie white tortilla, lots of rice and beans and of course, lots of cheese. Although it may fill me up, I know how those fatty meals make me feel later in the evening.
So, I moved onto Wendy's. Of course there are no "vegetarian" salads so I would have to order a salad w/o the meat or pick off the meat and give it to Karel. So really, I would have to pay $7 (with tax) for iceburg lettuce, croutons, cheese, 3 cucumbers and a tablespoon of shredded carrots. I may as well throw my money away because I would find myself eating one of my sport bars about 30 minutes after the salad. I like to bring sport bars on trips because they are high enough in calories to get you through a few hours of sitting around, without leaving you super hungry right after.
So, when I tossed out the idea of an expensive tossed salad I went with my 3rd option.
A Vanilla Frosty at Wendy's!
Although I am on vacation, I don't like to think that I can eat whatever I want. I still want to be healthy so I am not looking for foods that I normally don't eat. But, when it came down to getting my money's worth and eating something good, the Frosty was the best idea I could come up with and thanks to Karel, he was the one who gave me the suggestion.
That Medium Frosty was the best dinner I have had in a while...yummmmm. At 410 calories, I decided to top it off with some nuts, raisins and my organic cereal (all in the trail mix) to make it a yummy and crunchy dinner. It sure did the trick cause I was very satisfied afterwards and only spent $2.16!! What a deal :)
At 9:30pm we were greated by my grandparents at the Reno airport and we were in bed by 10pm...reno time. I don't think Karel and I can remember a time when we were up at 1 in the morning but we were super tired and ready for bed.
This morning we were up at 5:30am so we still got a good 7 1/2 hours of sleep. We started our morning with coffee and couldn't wait til the sun came up to see Mt. Rose behind my grandparents condo. We had a super healthy breakfast this morning of stove-top oatmeal and a fresh fruit salad. We are so spoiled by my grandparents and we just love their company.
Now we are just getting ready to head up to Incline village to see where we will be staying for the next 4 nights. Barbara (my grandp's wife) has graciously given us a condo (that she rents out) for the weekend. We will be staying right on Lake Tahoe and they are even expecting a fresh batch of snow today!
After we see the condo we are off to Northstar ski resort for our 1:30 XC ski lesson. I am a little nervous if I will be able to pick it up but we have the whole afternoon (after our lesson) to cross country ski.
More pictures to come.... but for now, enjoy!

Passing time at the Phoenix airport




Waking up in Reno




Yummmy (We aren't use to eating breakfast and not training right after...what a treat! I didn't want to stop eating!!!)





Good morning Reno!




My Campy (who is getting lots of love at my parents house.. Miss you Campy and Smudla!!)