Skip to main content

A whole lotta cycling!

This weekend was filled with a lot of bike riding and very little rest. I am finally sitting at the computer with my feet up and listening to the TV in the background. Campy is sleeping next to me and Karel is out with his guy friends here in Tampa Bay, enjoying a few beers.

First I will start with my weekend, which is much less entertaining than Karel's weekend.
My workout on Sat was tough. I am finally training for an IM. With a 3:30-4 hour ride and 45 min run on the schedule I was actually looking forward to training on the roads outside of my parents house and sticking my legs in their pool when I was finished.
I think brick workouts are SO important for IM training and even though I still have a LONG way to go until the "Big" brick workouts, every brick is important.
My ride went by super fast because I had certain sets for my entire ride. I had certain power zones to stay at but here was the set:
30 min. warm-up
50 min tempo w/ 10 min recovery
2 x 20 min sub-threshold (lower end) w/ 10 min recovery
5 x 5 min threshold w/ 4 min recovery
Total: 70 miles, 3:45
The wind was blowing like crazy so I made sure to break up each of my sets so half was in the tail wind and half in head wind. I wanted to practice staying in my zones and really working on my comfort level of knowing what my zones feel like, regardless of tail wind.
After the ride it was time to run. I ran for 22 min and felt really good. My hamstring got extremely tight on Wed during the first of 3 x 1 mile 10K pace runs. I decided to not take a chance on injuring myself and I was SO happy that I didn't act like the stubborn athlete that I once was. I took thurs and fri off from running and took into account this brick workout. My hamstring felt great and I was really lucky that I was smart about this one.
After 22 min it was time to get Campy. Off we went for 15 min to give me a hot 37 min. brick run. It was nearly noon and I was ready for breakfast.
This morning I slept in (6:58am) and headed out for my 2 hour run around 7:30am. The run went really well and I had a lot on my mind. I was zoning out the whole time. I ran for 1:52 and finished my run with Campy for a nice 2hr and 5 min. I told Campy we wouldn't be running faster than 8:30 min/miles for the end part of my run but he ignored me.

Ok-now the exciting stuff (with pictures).
Karel raced in the annual Tampa Twilight Criterium in downtown Tampa last night (Sat). Karel LOVES crits and especially when they are at night. The race started around 6:40pm and the race was 65 min. + 3 laps. For those who have never seen a criterium (which I recommend if you ever get the chance to watch part of a cycling race), the racers race for 65 min and then they have 3 laps left. So much went on in the first 65 min. but it was around 30-40 min that a 4-man break away took off and eventually, in the last 3 laps, they lapped the field. So, the whole group was back together and the main field (which were racing with the 4-man break who lapped the field) were racing for 5th-10th place (to be in the money).
The course was also really technical in one area of the course. The street was super windy with cobblestones and then a right turn with barely any room to move. It was scary to watch but of course, that is where all the spectators like to stand. My parents and I (and Campy) walked all around the course so we had lots of great views.
I took a lot of pics and most of them were blurry cause the Pro guys were racing way too fast for me..and it was getting dark. However, I did get a few good ones.
Karel's second race was in Pinellas Park at 1:30pm. The race was close to 100K which means the guys raced 28 laps for close to 60 miles. Crazy!
Unfortunately, I was pooped prior to the race and Campy could barely keep his eyes open. I felt so tired and cranky and Karel told me to just go home. I didn't want to leave and I really wanted to stay but I was just fading away by the minute. The race was late so we were there for about 1:45 before it started and after about 45 min. of watching them pass by every 4 minutes, it was time for me to head home. I felt so bad and I guess the training caught up to me. What a bummer but I think it is just part of IM training. You can't be 100% all the time and hopefully, for all my IM athletes, you have to have supportive friends and family. You can't use the IM excuse all the time but I'm learning that I need to rest every now and then.
Well, to sum up the weekend, Karel placed 8th in the twilight crit which was amazing! We couldn't believe it with such competition out there!
Karel placed 9th in the circuit race today! Top 10 once again..seems like a phase he is going through this season. I'm so proud of all his top 10 finishes. There were around 75+ starters at each race and I'm so amazed that Karel can sprint to the line with Pro's who train and race full-time (without working 45 hours a week, like Karel).
Enjoy the pics!