Tofu isn't the most exciting food to eat alone. Even if you put it on a skillet, tofu needs to be spiced up a bit for the taste buds. The best thing about tofu is that it is packed with protein!
A few tips for tofu:
1) Cover tofu with a little corn starch to keep the tofu from being watery when you cook it on a skillet.
2) Drain the water from the box of tofu every time you use it. Fill the carton (or put in a Tupperware container) w/ 3/4ths full water and keep for 3-4 days in fridge.
3) Cook tofu w/ garlic and pepper.
4) Add little olive oil, low sodium soy sauce, salsa, hot sauce, nuts or caraway seeds when cooking the tofu.
5) Crumble tofu and add to sauces, noodles or eggs.
6) Use firm tofu for cooking and soft tofu for smoothies.
7) Add a slice of tofu in sandwiches or top pizza with thin tofu slices.
Here is my FAV meal that I can eat every day of the week! To brighten up the meal, I usually add a bright salad w/ fruit and lots of veggies.
Garlic and mushrooms (cooked in a little olive oil)
Tofu (coated in light soy sauce, cayenne pepper and caraway seeds)
Omelet of skim milk, 3 egg whites and 1/2 yoke (w/ tomato, onion and swiss cheese)
One of our favorite kitchen tools is our panini maker. Well, I should say that this is Karel's favorite appliance (next to the coffee maker). This morning Karel made a Tuna and cheese sandwich on Panera bread and a half tuna, cheese and veggie sandwich.It smelled SO good in our place at 7:30 in the morning. Karel brings his lunch everyday to work and a panini maker is the perfect way to make a restaurant style lunch at home.