Skip to main content

Mother's Day Recipes

Happy mom day!!!! If you are a mom...you are amazing!

Happy mother's day to my mom who I couldn't love enough. My family is great and my mom has always been my number one fan and supporter. From the age of 12 when I told my mom I was going to be a vegetarian to deciding to move to Florida, alone, for graduate school... my mom supported me. There was also a lot between the years of 12 and 22 that she put up with but I think she raised me just great!
It wasn't easy when I told my mom that I met a cute cyclist with a great Czech accent(who is now my hubby), but I couldn't wait to tell her that I was engaged a year later. It wasn't until I had to tell her that Karel and I were moving to Jacksonville a year later, just a few months before our wedding that I knew my mom supported all my life decisions. I think I was the one who had the hard time saying good-bye to my short 40 min. drive (or 1:20 min. bike) to my parents house when we lived in Dunedin but at least I can see my parents once a month. What would I do without my mom! Also, my cell phone would get no use if it wasn't for my mom always answering my daily phone calls. Thank you mom for everything..I LOVE YOU!

Here are two healthy and yummy recipes for all the kids, hubby's, daughters/sons and friends to spoil the mom's out there. Enjoy!

Fruity Carrot Salad
Ingredients:
3 large carrots or 5 medium carrots (shredded)
2 large green apples (shredded)
1 cup raisins
1 can chunky pineapples w/ juice
4 tbsp. coconut juice (optional)
2 tbsp. lemon juice

1. Pour pineapple juice in a bowl. Soak raisins in juice for about 20 min.
2. While raisins are soaking, shred carrots and apples in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add lemon juice and coconut juice to carrots and apples. Mix together.
4. Add raisins, pineapples (from can) and 2 tbsp. pineapple juice to the carrot mixture. Mix well. (save the extra pineapple juice from the soaked raisins for a smoothie)
5. Chill over night or for a few hours. Enjoy!!
*I recommend serving the salad with 1/2 cup plain low fat yogurt and 2-3 slices fresh pita bread with hummus.






Pancakes and Eggs

Ingredients:
1 cup Just Add Water buttermilk pancake mix
2-3 tsp. Cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 cup soy nuts (or any nut)
3 large strawberries (sliced)
Dark chocolate chips
Raisins
2 x 1/8 cup milk
Water
5 egg whites and 1 whole egg

1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl. Mix together.
2. Add a small handful of raisins and 1/8 cup milk.
3. Slowly add water as you mix together the batter. Add water until the batter mixes easily and slowly drips from your mixing spoon/fork.
4. On a non-stick skillet, on low-medium heat, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto pan for 1 pancake. Use non-stick spray before pouring batter on the pan (1 squirt for each side of the pancake).
5. Place 2-3 chocolate chips in batter after pouring batter on pan.
6. Flip after 2-3 min. and place on a nice plate. You can top with 2-3 additional chocolate chips if you are a fan of chocolate. Cover pancakes with another plate to keep pancakes warm.
7. Scramble 5 egg whites and 1 whole egg with 1/8 cup milk.
8. Pour eggs on pan w/ 1-2 sprays of non stick spray. Scramble until eggs are cooked.
9. Serve 1/2 eggs with 2 pancakes. Top with low sugar jelly or low fat yogurt. Enjoy!
*I suggest serving with fresh watermelon slices.
*I also recommend serving this recipe for dinner. Pancakes for dinner...yum!