Skip to main content

Tri Talk

I'm sure my nutrition talk gets a bit boring so I thought I would talk about something everyone can relate to...Triathlons!! And, even if you don't do triathlons, I hope you enjoy my new accessory to my bike (or my pics of Campy).

Tomorrow I have my first triathlon of the season. First triathlon since August! Last night as Karel and I were watching the Giro (if you have comcast, the giro is on EVERYDAY for 3 weeks straight, in addition to lots of marathons, triathlons and cycling events on the US channel, which is 200. I LOVE this channel, so much better than versus! Who wants to watch fishing and hunting? BOO for those "sports"!) and Karel told me he would die if he didn't race for 9 months. I laughed because I have done running but no tri's. Well, the time is here and I can finally race!

The triathlon (Beaches Fine Arts Triathlon #1) is a sprint (first one of the series), which is the toughest of them all for me. For a 1/4 mile swim, 13 mile bike and 3 mile run.....the race is an all out sprint for the finish line. I'm excited because I like to suffer for an hour and see how fast I can go. But I know there will be a lot of fast people out on the course.
Karel is out at the ABC store (own by Jeff) at the beach right now working during packet pickup. I'm sure he is loving all the last minute bike problems from triathletes bringing in dirty bikes with stretched out chains and gears that don't shift properly (often commen problems at the Trek store from customers).

Tomorrow morning Karel is also working tech support at the race. Once again, changing overinflatted tires, pumping tires and fixing last minute details from stressed-out triathletes. Although I say all this about newbie and veteran triathletes, it seems like yesterday when I was brining my hybrid bike to the Davie bike shop the day before a race to get the tires pumped up, getting the bike cleaned and getting talked into changing everything on my bike..the day before a race. And yes, I still take my bike to the bike shop a few days before a race to get a little check-up but luckily I have the best mechanic in Jacksonville fix up my bike :)

Speaking of fixing up..I got a little surprise on my bike yesterday.
I LOVE my new pink decals on my bike!!
I couldn't believe that Karel ordered these for me a few weeks ago and they came in on the same day that I asked Karel if I could use his powertap wheel for the race because it looked "cooler" than my wheel. Of course..looks count if you want to go fast :) And, because this is my first triathlon on my new bike, I plan to give it my all for the bike (mostly cause Karel will be there and I'm sure he will be paying more attention to my bike split than the rest of the race :)

Well, the bike is ready and so am I..this should be fun!




And a few cute pics of Campy to keep me smiling during the race: