Skip to main content

Potato Latka's

L'Shana Tova!!! You don't have to be Jewish to "have a good year". So to all my Jewish friends out there, enjoy the holiday!
My mom would make my brother and me potato Latka's around the Hanukkah holiday but you can't go wrong with a potato pancake any time of the year..and you don't have to be Jewish to enjoy one! Plus, with my sour cream dip that I made the other day (previous post), I had the perfect topping for our pancakes.
To balance the carbs from the potato, I cooked up my favorite mixture of veggies (if you haven't noticed through previous blogs that I could eat this mixture every day for the rest of my life) which included green peppers, corn, mushrooms and onions, as well as tofu.
Since I love chopping, shredding and dicing I used a large potato for my recipe. However, you can absolutely use frozen unseasoned hashbrowns (shredded) if you want to decrease the prep time for this meal.
I think potato pancakes are a great way for the meat and potato eater to enjoy something different, without an excess of fat and calories (respectively). Along side the potato pancakes you could do grilled chicken, deli ham, a veggie burger or scrambled (or sunny side up) eggs. Pick a lean protein to go with your potato pancakes and you don't have to fear those scary carbs that you may be avoiding because you fear they may cause you to get fat.
Did you know that a medium baked potato has 5 grams of fiber and 140 calories?
Now, I know that the health-conscious athlete that you are, looking to lose or maintain weight, would never give up your morning oatmeal which is proved to have positive effects on cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
Did you know that 1/2 cup oatmeal has 150 calories and 4 grams fiber?
You could do this meal in the morning for breakfast or for dinner...I hope you enjoy every bite!!!

Potato Latka's (pancakes)
(makes 5 large pancakes)
1 large potato (shredded)
2 cloves garlic (chopped finely)
1/4 cup onion (diced)
1 egg
1/4 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika (about 1-2 tsp each)

1) After shredding potato, add garlic, onion and seasonings. Mix together (I mixed together on the plate I was using to shred but you can use a bowl).
2) Add egg and mix well.
3) Slowly add flour as you are mixing with a fork. Your mixture should be easy to mix together so stop adding flour if mixture gets clumpy. However, if mixture is too runny to stick together when you finish adding 1/4 cup flour, add a little more by spoonful.
4) On a medium heat skillet, spray pan with 1-2 quick squirts of non-stick spray.
5) Take 1 big spoonful of potato mixture and form into a pancake with clean hands. Let cook on skillet until the pancake is golden brown and able to flip without braking in half. Before flipping, spray each pancake with 1 squirt of non stick spray.

Did you know:
Healthy fats (nuts, olive oil, avocado) should be included with every meal, especially when eating veggies. Many nutrients in veggies aren't efficiently absorbed in the body after digestion unless fat is added to the meal. Veggies which contain fat soluble nutrients require fat for absorption. Veggies which are rich in beta carotene, vitamin E and vitamin D will be better absorbed with olive oil than when eaten alone.
You don't need a lot of fat with the meal. A few nuts (10-15), 1/2 tbsp olive oil or 1/2 avocado will do the trick. Choose flax seeds or olive oil, rather than full-fat dressing if you want to add fat to salads. Remember, healthy fats are the key to a healthy heart!
*You will notice that I generally use olive oil when I cook veggies.