Skip to main content

Eating for health

There's been a lot of napping here lately. Karel is sick. I thought we were indestructible with our super healthy eating habits but I guess not. Unfortunately, Karel came down with a bad cough and a horrible head cold. He's avoided a fever but has no energy. This is day 3 of the sickness and I'm hoping this is the end.
Although healthy eating can't ward off the common cold...it can sure help.
Karel has not been sick since 2005. I think that 3+ years of no virus is an excellent record. Since we met in 2006, I'd like to think that our enjoyment for healthy nutrients has helped us stay cold-free. No missed days of work and pure enjoyment for life and our training. The last time I was sick was in June 2007, after I returned from Las Vegas for a conference. I guess when it rains it pours because when I got sick...I was out for a few days.
Maybe it isn't certain that we can prevent cancer with healthy eating, but it wouldn't hurt to try. I know I can't prevent a broken bone if I fall off my bike but my future employer will be happy to know that my immune system is super strong and I am not one to ask off for sick days.
I know we all love the aesthetic side of eating healthy (lean or muscular body, x-weight, x-size of jeans, spandex everything, etc.) and sure, your confidence is raised when you like the way you look in the mirror but I'd like to think that the results of healthy eating start from the inside. Sure, there are people with a great looking outside and eat poorly. And, there are those who eat exceptional well but tend to carry around 10-20 extra lbs. Sure, you may be envious that some people can eat french fries and pizza for lunch on a daily basis, drink beer every night, eat donuts for desert and snack on candy bars but in my opinion, that isn't the kind of life that I would like to live.
Last time I checked, I didn't see any long term research studies on the health benefits of donuts in the prevention of prostate cancer. I don't recall any of the Nurses' Health Studies demonstrating that a diet of pizza and french fries will combat disease and illness later in life, as opposed to a diet of fruits, veggies, complex carbs, lean/low fat protein and healthy fats. I also haven't read any research studies about performance benefits of a high fat, high calorie and high sugar diet, regardless of current BMI or prior fitness level.
Next time you have the option of choosing an apple or a candy bar....choose the apple. Sure, it seems like common sense as you read this blog but take a moment and check inside your fridge, pantry and possible, office snackroom. Are you making the necessary changes to eat for health?

Do you feel that eating healthy has helped you prevent illness or disease? I'd love to hear your story!

On another note...check out who are BFF's. They can't get enough of each other.