Skip to main content

Feeling good with good food

My training is going really well. I really enjoy pushing myself on a daily basis, but with the unpredictable winter-time weather, no week is without good and bad training days. I strive off consistency and when the forecast tells me it will be 60-degrees and sunny and it turns out to be 38-degrees and rainy, I wake up with no idea what to do in the morning. However, I love training too much to do nothing. I always have the motivation to get in a morning workout but some days, it just takes me a little longer than normal to figure out my morning plans.
This morning I decided to do my long run since it was 38-degrees and overcast and Karel braved the cold and rode with the group (warming up for his RR tomorrow in Tally). The weekends are typically tempo/aerobic workouts whereas during the week, I like to do a mix of anaerobic/interval and tempo work. I find that the more I push myself during the week (for 60-90 min. workouts), long weekend workouts are much more enjoyable.
Since I have been dealing with extreme on and off piriformis syndrome for the past 3 years, I value every workout. More like treasure. I think I take so much pride in my nutrition because triathlons are my lifestyle, not a priority. Nobody is paying me to do triathlons, therefor, it is simply an addicting, yet rewarding, hobby. But, if I don't know how to eat on a daily basis in order to stay healthy and maintain my weight without triathlons, than when/if I get injured or feel as if competing in triathlons aren't part of my lifestyle any more (I doubt that will ever happen and I'm 100% certain that I will always swim-bike-run for fun) than I am going to be extremely depressed. As you know, I don't train for triathlons so I can eat. My food is my fuel and I love keeping it as healthy as possible. Good for my workouts and my body. Training for triathlons is great because it keeps me from feeling bored with a daily exercise routine. However, triathlons or not, because I love to exercise and love to eat healthy, I will always take care of my body so that I can live a lifetime of happiness and opportunities.
I have worked really hard the past few months, working on my piriformis syndrome. Alongside lifting weights and working on my weak areas, my rt. butt cheek has a love-hate relationship with a tennis ball. Who would have thought that rolling my butt on a tennis ball could make me tear-up and smile at the same time.

Well, today was one of those valued workouts. What a great run.
12.75 miles in 1:41.02 (+ 1 campy mile in the sprinkling rain when I finished my almost 13-mile run)
Here's the splits of my tempo training run:
8:21 (warm-up)
8:01
7:49
7:49
7:45
7:54
7:44
7:42
7:47
7:51
7:59
8:08 (started warm-down)
6:12 (last .75 miles)
I'm really happy with my 7:55 min/mile average and most of all, I was feeling great during the run. Enjoying every foot strike.

After the run, time to recover.
If you know me...recovery-nutrition is my passion. What's a workout if you don't/can't recover from it?
After the run the thought of a smoothie was not very appetizing. Rather than stopping my workout and just laying on the couch, I decided to jump on the trainer and spin my legs for an easy 35 min. I caught up on the Olympics from last night (DVR) and smiled at my Campy taking a nap.


After my spin (no computer, no HR monitor) on a light gear, I was finally ready to recover. After my shower it was time for my Zoot compression tights and a painful 2-3 min. session with my butt and the tennis ball. Then, time for 1 Hammer Endurance amino pill and a smoothie....
(I don't measure anything so here are my guesstimates :)
*1/3 ripe banana
*1 scoop body fortress vanilla whey protein
*1 tsp glutamine
*2 tsp flax seed
*1/8 cup skim milk
*1 tsp peanut butter
*Dash of cinnamon
*3 ounces low-fat yogurt
*1 tsp dark chocolate (shaved)
*1/4-1/3 cup water
*6 ice cubes



I topped my smoothie w/ a few raisins and dried cranberries and had two of my flour-less Zucchini Raisin cookies:
*2 zucchini's (Shredded)
*1 tbsp dark chocolate (shredded)
*1/8 cup raisins
*1/4 cup crushed pineapple
*1 cup oats
*1 tsp baking soda
*1 tsp vanilla extract
*1 tsp cinnamon
*1 tsp all spice
*1 egg
*1/8 cup skim milk
1) Mix all ingredients together
2) Place in small piles on non-stick cooking sheet (it will be a little runny)
3) Cook at 375-degrees for 15-20 min. or until firm on top
4) As soon as you remove cookies from the oven, drizzle a little honey over each cookie






After my smoothie, Campy and I went to the Trek store to visit Karel and bring him some lunch. Around 90 min. after my workout, I was finally ready for breakfast.
Many athletes believe that training should be rewarded with treats. In other words, because you "just trained" you "deserve" a treat. I can agree with that philosophy every now and then but even if you feel you deserve a treat every weekend try to make your treat a healthy treat. Believe me, I know what it feels like as a newbie and what it feels like to accomplish another ground-breaking workout...YAY for bigger distances and faster speeds! For me, I enjoy fresh bread. So, after my weekend workouts, if I am not having my homemade pancakes I am usually having French Toast on french bread and Eggs.
(once again, I don't measure so feel free to be inspired by my recipe and add your own ingredients :)

*2 slices french bread cooked in egg mixture (below)
*2 egg whites (w/ a little yoke) + 2-3 tbsp skim milk (after I cooked the french toast I added 2 tbsp part-skim, shredded mozzarella cheese and pepper and cooked the eggs-open omelet-style)
*extra's - a little chopped dark chocolate, cinnamon and drizzle of honey for my french toast
*1/2 chopped peach and piece of banana (sliced)








Do you have a favorite post-workout meal/snack?
Let me know if you'd like me to make a healthy-creation inspired by your post-workout meal :)