Skip to main content

Warm-er weekend, great for training

Did everyone enjoy the warm-er weather this weekend? No matter where you live, I hope you enjoyed a little outdoor training this past sat and sun.
We sure did....

(This is an old pic but one of my favorites)

What did you do this weekend for activity/training?
Karel and I headed out around 7:20am for the Open Road Group ride and although it was a bit chilly, I warmed up fast once we met up with the other 40+ riders. My plan was a 3-3 1/2 hour ride, even though the group ride is a little less than 2 hours. I really like this ride because it is fast and makes me work on my drafting and bike handling skills...along with making me mentally tough. Saturday's group ride was a bit slower than normal because of many of the fast riders racing in Lake Mary, but nevertheless, the 24-26mph pace was enjoyable.....that is, until my cable snapped.
Around 20 miles into the ride, Karel drifted back to me, from the front of the pack, to see how I was doing. I smiled and was actually feeling really good. Just as the group was about to make a rt. turn, we all slowed down and all of a sudden, my rt. shifter wasn't working. Thank goodness my bike mechanic rides with me. I called for Karel to come and see what was wrong and 5 seconds later, he tells me to go ride home because my cable snapped for the first time ever. Well, at least it wasn't my brake cable.
I made my way home, slowly, in the big chain ring, biggest gear. Although I do have a tendency to rely on my slow-twitch fibers and push heavy gears, I've worked very hard to up my cadence and use my small chain ring as much as possible. Therefore, the ride home was not as enjoyable as the first 20 miles.
I eventually made it home with 35 miles and wasn't ready to call it a morning.
I grabbed my Garmin Forerunner 405 (one gadget that I absolutely love...my power tap is the other), kissed Campy good-bye and headed out for a long run.
The run went great and the weather was just wonderful for running. I held 8 min/mile pace for 10 miles and 1 hour and 20 minutes later I was back home. It was time for Campy miles.
My legs were really tired from the my morning workout but nothing would make me pass up an opportunity to run with my favorite running buddy.

2 miles later, home, ready for a shower and on went the Zoot compression tights. What a great morning.
Karel cleaned and fixed my bike at work on Sat. He put on my old cassette for "flat" road training. Come to think of it, snapping my black cable for these pretty white cables turned out to be ok.

Sunday morning was a nice 3:15 bike. The sun was shining and it was absolutely beautiful out. Karel gave me a few tempo intervals for the middle hour of my ride, but other than that, I was enjoying the wonderful morning. Karel was off in Lake Mary w/ Jeff, Curtis, Clint and James for a crit race. Since I wasn't there, I only have this pic (courtesy of FB) to show off Karel (far rt. in the front, Jeff behind him) sprinting for another top-10 finish.

However, this time it was 6th place!!! Way to go Karel!

As for the rest of the weekend, there was lots of good food. Stay tuned for tomorrow's blog, devoted entirely to many healthy creations!