Skip to main content

Egg recipes - same ingredients, different creations

Thankfully, I am committed to my blog. And, for that I will always be inspired by you (my blog readers) and motivated to create new healthy and yummy lacto-ovo vegetarian recipes.
Having said that, if my internet goes down and I am in some way forced to buy only 5 things from the grocery store, I will be eating omelet's for the rest of my life.
Mushrooms, eggs, garlic, tofu and spinach. Every day, all day...I would never get bored.
Of course, eating the same thing, every day may seem like a good plan if you are wanting to lose weight but if you are finding yourself hungry all day, well, something isn't working. Being hungry is no way to live the rest of your life and reducing calories through diet and expending calories through exercise does not have to be painful. Sure, there may be some tough times as you find exactly what works for you, based on your current/daily training routine but eventually, if you are enjoying what you do on a daily basis, healthy eating and daily exercise will turn into a habit and thus a lifestyle choice.

So, even though I would love to eat omelet's for the rest of my life, I know that wouldn't be practical. I need good sources of carbohydrates to fuel my workouts, I need an array of low fat proteins to build tissues and provide essential amino acids to my body and I need healthy fats because well, my body can not function without them. Of course I need water (plenty of it!) and last but not least, tons of colorful fruits and veggies to keep my immune system strong, to help me live a quality-filled life, to keep me from ever having to say "I'm sick" and to keep me energized throughout the day.

Here are two great Egg recipes in case you are looking for a change from your normal egg-centered dish.
Enjoy..one of my favorite creations.

Egg, Spinach, Chive, Cheese and Tomato Frittata
2 eggs (1 whole egg, 1 egg white)
2-3 tbsp skim milk
Small pinch of mozzarella cheese
1 small roma tomato (sliced)
1 chive (chopped)

1. Preheat a small skillet, sprayed with a little nonstick spray, to low-medium heat.
2. Scramble ingredients in a large bowl and pour into hot pan.
3. Lightly scramble eggs until eggs begin to stick to the bottom (this will help create a fluffy frittata).
4. Cook for several min. until bottom is slightly brown.
5. With a large spatula, flip frittata and cook for 1-2 more minutes.




Egg, Spinach, Chive and Tomato Omelet, topped w/ cheese

2 eggs (1 whole egg, 1 egg white)
2-3 tbsp skim milk
Small pinch of mozzarella cheese
1 small roma tomato (sliced)
1 chive (chopped)

1. Preheat skillet, sprayed with non stick spray, to low-medium heat.
2. Scramble egg and milk and pour into hot pan.
3. Lightly scramble eggs until eggs begin to stick to bottom (fluffy omelet) and spread eggs so that you can not see the bottom of the pan.
4. Flip eggs when you can slid your large spatula under eggs, without eggs falling apart (a few minutes).
5. After flipping, place spinach, tomato and chives on half of omelet.
6. Remove omelet from pan and close omelet on your plate. Top with a little cheese and chives.







Side dish #1:
Asparagus, chickpeas, mushrooms and garlic - cooked in a little (1-2 tsp olive oil). Seasoned with pepper.
Side dish #2:
Several thin slices of Polenta (I store bought it to try it for the first time but you can make it with cornmeal) cooked on a nonstick pan w/ cooking spray. Sliced Polenta after cooking.






Omelet


Frittata