Reason #8 to be a vegetarian:
Hardee's 2/3 lb Monster Thickburger
As if 1/3 lb beef patty wasn't enough? When you order the 2/3 lb monster thickburger, not only do you get 2 1/3 lb charbroiled 100% Black Angus beef patties, 4 strips of bacon, 3 slices of American cheese and mayo on a sesame seed bun, but your order comes with:
850 calories from fat
95 grams of fat
35 grams of saturated fat
210 mg of cholesterol
3020 mg of sodium
46 g of carbohydrates
2 g of fiber
5 g of sugar
70 g of protein
Do you want to know the other 7 reasons to be a vegetarian?
1/3 lb original thickburger
1/3 lb cheeseburger
1/3 lb mushroom and swiss thickburger
1/3 lb bacon cheese thickburger
1/3 lb low carb thickburger
2/3 lb double thickburger
2/3 lb double bacon cheese thickburger
But since you are an athlete it's likely that you seek a healthy alternative to burgers. So, why not go with a salad and a Frappe at McDonald's? Sounds healthy, right?
Large Mocha Frappe
250 calories from fat
18g saturated fat
1g trans fat
80 mg cholesterol
200 mg sodium
1 g fiber
87 g sugar
10 g protein
Premium southwest salad w/ grilled chicken
3g saturated fat
70 mg cholesterol
960 mg sodium
30 g carbs
11 g sugar
30 g protein
Don't forget the salad dressing....
Newman's own ranch dressing (2 oz)
130 calories from fat
2.5 g saturated fat
20 mg cholesterol
530 mg sodium
1 g protein
I don't know how people expect to lose weight (let alone feel good) when eating/ordering out? Not only are the portions at restaurants too large for your own good, but just look at the added sodium and fat to make your food "oh-so desirable". Heaven forbid the food comes unsalted and you find your meal unappetizing.
I created my own burger last night, in honor of the Hardee's commercial I saw on TV. I hope your waist line and heart find enjoyment in my vegetarian burger.
Mushroom, swiss and tofu burger
4 large mushrooms (Sliced)
1 clove garlic (chopped)
4 thin slices brick Swiss Cheese (or 2 slices deli Swiss cheese)
1 veggie burger
4 thick slices firm tofu
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp horseradish
2 x 100% whole wheat bagel (search for a bagel less than 250 calories)
2 x sandwich thins
1. Toast bagel or sandiwich thin
2. On a non-stick skillet w/ 1 tsp olive oil, cook garlic and mushrooms.
3. On same skillet, when mushrooms are golden brown, remove mushrooms and garlic and cook tofu until golden brown (use a spray or two of non-stick spray).
4. Cook veggie burger in microwave for 75 sec (remove from baggy).
5. After bagel or sandwich thin is toasted, place 1 slice cheese (or 1 thin slice cheese on each sandwich thin) on top side of bagel and microwave for 30 sec.
6. On other side of bagel or thin, spread horseradish sauce.
7. For open face sandwhich thin, place a few mushrooms and garlic on cheese and top with 2 slices tofu. Finish with 1/2 veggie burger (sliced into strips).
8. For bagel, place a few mushrooms and garlic on bottom of bagel and top with tofu and 1/2 veggie burger (sliced into strips). Add jalepenos if using them, and close with top of bagel.
Spinach, Orange and Feta salad
In a large Tupperware container:
2-3 cups Spinach
2-3 large roma tomatoes (sliced)
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 fresh chives (sliced)
8-10 baby carrots (chopped)
1 orange (sliced) + juice from orange
1 apple (sliced)
3 hard boiled eggs sliced (2 whites, 1 whole egg)
2-3 tbsp sunflower seeds
2-4 tbsp feta cheese (reduced fat)