Skip to main content

Weekend training

Without hesitation I was heading to the beach on sat. morning. I just love the atmosphere down there. Of course, I'm not talking about sun tanning or playing in the ocean but rather training at the beach.
We live about 25 min from the beach and aside from Karel working at the beach Trek store on Tues morning, it's rare that we ever get to the ocean. I just love the water and everything that has to do with the ocean so if I have a reason to get to the beach....I'll find a way to get there!
Karel had to work at 10am at the town store so we had to split up for our morning bike ride. Mrs. Sumbal represented the beach and Mr. Sumbal represented the town. Once again I did the lodge ride and enjoyed my time with the boys in Nocatee and Karel punished a lot of people on the Open Road ride. I heard from a lot of people that Karel was attacking like crazy and no one could catch him. Sounds mean but I think the other riders like a little challenging race/training every now and then.
As for my ride it was fast like usual...well, actually it was faster than normal. Every big shot triathlete and cyclist was on the ride and I knew I would have trouble staying in.
After 8 continuous bridge repeaters from 7:45-8:05ish, my friend Doris and I headed to Nocatee to chat (while riding). Doris had to head home so I joined the rest of the boys. I really like all of the guys on the Lodge ride (although I don't know a lot of them) and more than anything, they are really nice to me. I get a little help every now and then to make sure I don't get dropped and I appreciate the support.
As for the group ride, we averaged 25mph with sections of the ride increasing to 26-28mph. The group was big and with so many strong guys, I had enough in me for 2 rotations and then before I knew it, a large group attacked (Jeff, Shawn B, Sean C, Rad, Steve P, Curtis - my friends who I know where part of the group) and after my hard two pulls, there was no way I could catch them. With about 10-15 guys ahead of my group of around 20, they were gone in a matter of seconds.
I love doing these rides because it is like racing for training. Of course, although it is challenging at times (and a bit scary if I find myself zoning out), it is a lot of fun because I can actually take part in the ride rather than suffering. Of course, it took me a good 4 years to get to where I am now with my cycling but with a little help and encouragement from the hubby, I really love being active during the rides, rotating and not getting dropped.
Last week I was called "girl" and this week I was being referred to as "anti-draft". I guess my 5 foot, 110lb frame on my small bike (w/ 700cc wheels) doesn't make for an easy draft :)

Stats for the ride:
41 miles
2 hrs

After the ride it was time for a run. This was my last key workout before starting taper so I decided to give a good effort off the bike for a short run. I felt good but once again, it was HOT!

Stats for the run:
4 miles
31.1 min
Pace: 7:47 min/mile
Mile 1: 7:43
Mile 2: 7:52
Mile 3: 7:56
Mile 4: 7:39

Finally..time to enjoy the beach. I had a nice dip in the ocean and then my pregnant friend Steph (5 months along) met me at the beach to catch up. Around noon it was time for me to go home and recover!

This morning I took my time getting ready. I wanted to enjoy my first day of Taper. Karel was out the door pretty early to head to Orange Park for an 80 mile group ride. After I walked Campy, I was ready for my run.
Well, the run was just ok. I felt great and my body wasn't sore, but my legs were not in the mood to run fast. That's ok...I can't win them all.
After 6 miles, I decided to walk for a few minutes to see if I could shake any speed into my legs. Once I started running again (1 mile from home) I figured my legs had enough and I had to respect my body. The last mile was a pure jog and I told Campy we would be walking for his "campy mile".

Stats for my run:
1 hr (including walk)
7.37 miles
Pace: 8:17 min/mile
Mile 1: 7:22
Mile 2: 7:48
Mile 3: 7:49
Mile 4: 7:55
Mile 5: 8:16
Mile 6: 7:58
Mile 6.28: 16:38 (walk for 5 min)
Mile 6.28-7.28: 8:21

+ 1 extra special Campy mile (Fast walk)

There is nothing I love more than riding my bike after a run. My legs needed it. I had planned to ride my bike after my run and I couldn't wait! I didn't worry about my speed or power I just rode and listened to my music.
20 miles on the bike went by fast and I was ready for stretching and ice.

Well, today is my last day as a 27 year old. I have to say this has been a great year. Turning 28 doesn't sound so bad. I like even birthdays. I'm really looking forward to turning 28 and I gladly welcome all of the great things to come this year.