Skip to main content

Tuna Burger and stir-fry salad w/ pears - Creations

Although most of my meals are vegetarian for both Karel and myself, I like to be a little creative with my non-vegetarian meals. Because Karel isn't a vegetarian, it's really important that I give him some type of fish-meal at least twice a week. Tuna is really simple for me since I don't have to do much cooking with a can of tuna packed in water.

Karel just loves it when I make him tuna salad. Although I didn't do it in this recipe, I often make a tofu/egg salad for myself and then add the tuna for Karel. I never feel as if I go out of my way to make vegetarian meals because the foundation of both Karel and my diet is plant-based. Therefore, by focusing on the wholesome ingredients first and foremost, I find it rather easy to add in other macronutrients (carbs, fat and protein) to balance out the meal depending on our workout intensity and duration for the day.

This recipe can be made hot or cold. I like to have a variety of flavors, textures and temperatures when I plan and prepare a dinner meal. I find that many athletes struggle with late night snacking due to late night cravings. Although I believe that late night snacking can be solved by eating more balanced meals/snacks throughout the day, as well as not going long hours between meals (2-3 hours), eating a small protein or fiber snack about 15-30 min prior to meals and eating a filling and balanced breakfast......I have noticed that with myself, I rarely crave food after dinner because of my variety of foods in my dinner meal. If you suffer from after-dinner snacking (there is nothing wrong with having a small snack after dinner however, it is important to get in tune with your body and to recognize the difference between real hunger and really bored) I recommend trying the tips I mentioned above and then trying to have a piece of fruit or glass of milk (in addition to a big glass of water) around 30-40 min after dinner. Because many people suffer from habitual snacking after dinner, it may be hard to go cold-turkey on your evening snack. Therefore, a piece of fruit is really helpful to start. If you do need a snack for the calories because you struggled properly fueling during the day and at dinner (ex. evening workout, big workout that morning, etc.) I recommend having a snack of protein and carbs such as fruit w/ cottage cheese, milk or yogurt w/ fruit or string cheese and fruit. If you find that fruit snack helps with your evening cravings, try to incorporate some of your favorite evening snacks into your dinner. Have you ever tried topping a salad with granola and having a glass of milk with dinner? Have you ever tried crumbling chips or crackers on your veggie stir-fry or on couscous?