Skip to main content

Favorite Things

Recently, Iron Girl sent out a Holiday Shopping list that was filled with awesome gift ideas. I quickly called Karel because his favorite cream was listed on the list...with a discount code!!

Karel absolutely loves Flex Power Muscle and Joint Relief Cream. He likes that the cream doesn't leave your legs and hands all greasy, the cream doesn't have a strong smell (if any smell at all) and that it feels really refreshing after you rub it on your tight muscles. He also believes that it really relaxes your legs. We both like BioFreeze and are quick to grab free-samples at cycling and triathlon races but Karel always has a bottle of Flex Power in his work and cycling bag.
We found out that if you put in the IGHOLIDAY code when placing your order, you actually receive a FREE 4oz cream (not the 2oz that is listed in the promotion email). What a great deal. This is costly cream so buy 1 get 1 free is an excellent deal!!! I LOVE a good deal.
www.Flexpower.com

I recently received the latest 2010 Hammer product Catalog in the mail. I am a regular Hammer Customer so I don't need the catalog when ordering my favorite items but when looking through the last Hammer Endurance News magazine (check out the online versions http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/endurance-news/) I am excited to add the perpetuem solids to my nutrition fueling plan. I never recommend a product without trying it so I am excited to try out the new chewable perpetuem solids. Hammer also has electrolyte fizz caps but since I don't use electrolyte tabs, I will likely try them out to see if they will work for some of my athletes.

My favorite Hammer products (which I have year-round) include:
1) Tissue rejuvinator - I take 2 a day
2) Premium Insurance Caps - I take 3 a day
3) Race Caps supreme - I take 1 before intense or long workouts
4) Anti fatigue caps - I take 1 every hour or every 30 min (depending on how I am feeling)
5) Endurance aminos - I take 1 every hour or every 30 min (depending on how I am feeling).
6) Hammer Heed - to encourage the body to use stored fat for fuel and preserve muscle and live glycogen, water is my primary fuel choice during the week in the off-season, since most of my workouts are around 60-90 min. However, for workouts on the weekend (which include bike workouts 3+ hours and runs 90+ min) I use 1 scoop Hammer heed mixed with 24 ounces water. This is an excellent time to find out what your body needs and to train your body to be more efficient at using fuels. Often, athletes think they know what the body needs (take in too much nutrition) or they train too hard and too much (and often don't take in enough nutrition). The off-season is a perfect time to work on your aerobic threshold as well as adding in strength training and intervals, with ample recovery, so that you improve your power and get close to your anaerobic threshold but don't quite cross over and flood the body with lactate.
7) Hammer Whey or Recoverite - two great products for recovery. I am a big fan of whey protein post workout (mixed with milk or water) and then having my "real" wholesome meal. However, in times that I can't get a meal in me (ex. traveling for training) right after a long or intense workout, I reach for recoverite.
8) Sustained Energy - although I don't use this product very much in the off-season (except for rides that last more than 80 miles, or 4 hours), this is a must in my bottles for my IM training. People have asked me why I don't use perpetuem instead of my HEED + Sustained Energy mix (1 scoop of heed + 1 1/2 scoops SE) but I am just grown to love the taste of my mix. However, with strawberry vanilla as the new perpetuem flavor, I can't wait to try out perpetuem and see if it will work for my body and for my training routine. However, for the next few months, I am all about becoming as efficient as possible with my training in an effort to get stronger and faster without relying on an added amount of calories to fuel my workouts. Efficiency training takes time (often months) so I believe the off-season/base phase is a perfect time to work on using fat for fuel. You just have to be patient and realize that pre and post training nutrition are vital components of using fat for fuel. It isn't recommended to do every workout (especially over 90 min) on an empty stomach and to only use water during workouts (if over 90 min). If you want to get faster and reduce risk for injury, you need fuel. Start low and work your way up so that you learn what your body needs at lower intensities (mixed with intervals) and not what you think it needs.
9) Hammer gels - I am a big fan of using my gel flask (filled with Vanilla in the summer or apple cinnamon in the winter) for long runs because I like to spread out my calories (1 slurp every 1-2 miles) rather than taking in 100 calories at one time. It worked really well for me at IMWI and I will continue using my gel flask for long runs and long running races.
10) Hammer clothing - LOVE LOVE LOVE all Hammer clothing. I think I have 1 of everything. Super comfortable...and just love cute training/racing clothes!
11) Globus EMS - We absolutely love electrical muscle stimulation. Karel has had his Compex Sport for the last 4 years and although a costly purchase, it was an excellent investment! I always use the active recovery setting and I absolutely believe it helps the muscles recover after workouts. Karel uses several functions, in addition to recovery, where he can actually increase power by working the muscles (on the couch!). Hammer sells 3 versions of Globus EMS and although it is costly, this is a great tool to help build strength, power, endurance and enhance recovery.

In addition to using my code on the right side of my blog page (for a 15% discount off your first order!!) it is the 22nd Annual Client Appreciation Sale!!! From Nov 22 until Dec 17, use the Ad Code WS10 for 20% off fuels and supplements.

And lastly, COMPRESSION!!!
My favorite compression gear include:
1) Louis Garneau Compression Shorts - I LOVE these shorts. I haven't worn "running shorts" in over a year and a half and I believe that compression is keeping me injury-free.
2) Louis Garneau Compression Shirt - At first I was hesitant about a compression top but when Karel told me he bought me one, I was super excited to try it. Now, I am in love. Considering that I am on my feet a lot, train my full body with triathlon training and spend a lot of time at the computer, this compression top feels so good after training or in the evening when I am resting.
3) Zoot Compression tights - I am not afraid to sport my tights in public. At first I thought the compression style was a fad but I am convinced that compression helps recovery. I have slept in my tights every day since I got them about a year ago (maybe less than a dozen times I have slept without them) and I don't know how I could live without them, being an endurance athlete.
4) Zoot socks - There are a lot of socks on the market but I believe that Zoot makes quality compression gear. I will be buying active compression socks for my upcoming season (especially in Kona next Oct) but for now, I just love Zoot compression socks. I even bought my mom and grandma Zoot compression socks because they are both active and compression is for anyone.

Sorry-I don't have any discount codes for these products :(

Enjoy...Happy Shopping!