Skip to main content

It's that week

“In times of great stress or adversity, it's always best to keep busy, to plow your anger and your energy into something positive.”

It's that time....my last week of interning for my food service rotation! I've waited 11 LONG weeks for this and it is finally here. I thought I would be finished with my 353 hours of Food Service interning on wed but it looks like I will be 6 hours short. That's ok, I will intern on Fri this week (taking off on Thanksgiving) and next week will be a welcomed "off" week from interning. Wow, in less than 2 weeks I start my very LAST rotation for my dietetic internship and perhaps, my most intensive rotation....CLINICALS!!

Alongside interning this week, I am squeezing in every minute I can to study for my final (which I have to take by Wed 11pm). Once I take my final, I will finish my binder (which includes 42 completed learning outcomes aka. papers, projects, reports, graphs, outlines, etc.) and send it off to my distance dietetic internship director at Marywood University in PA in order to receive a grade for this rotation. Wow, 2 rotations almost done...I never thought this year would go by so fast. It seemed like just yesterday I was in my orientation for my community rotation and getting ready to start my serious training for IMWI.

This past Sunday Karel and I, my good friend Jennifer and hundreds of other cyclists did the Horrible Hundred, 100 mile cycling event in hilly Clermont Florida. My body and mind are still super tired from climbing hill after hill in a little over 5 hours. Although I am not ready to write my "event" report from the fantastic Horrible Hundred Event, I enjoyed my break from studying in an effort to exercise my mind, heart, brain and muscles. I am very thankful to my amazing and wonderful hubby who stuck with me for the entire 100 mile ride. Karel told me he would ride the whole ride with me, even though lots of his racing buddies were there, pushing a bit harder (ok-a lot harder) than my pace. Considering that he could easily ride 100 miles with his racing buddies in less than 4 1/2 hours, Karel pushed me just enough to draft with other groups and kept me going through my many ups and downs during the first 50 miles of the ride. Let's just say that as much as I looked forward to this event for the 3rd year in a row for me, my head and body wer just not working right that morning. That's ok, you can't win them all and I am surely not a quitter. As hard as it is sometimes, I force myself to dig deep and try to get something positive out of every situation.

Please forgive me for the next two days as I will be super stressed and busy with the last few days of this rotation. But don't worry, there are plenty of recipes (ex. ginger green bean stir-fry, egg omelet and steak fries, cauliflower mashed potatoes, pineapple bread) in my camera just waiting to be uploaded for all my favorite blog readers. Thanks blog readers...you really keep me going and remind me that this education will pay off!