Skip to main content

The Bottom Line

1 more day...Tuesday is the BIG day. I guess there is always a last first day so on Tues I will be able to officially say "This is my last first day of my dietetic internship rotation" My very last rotation starts on Tues and in 14 dietetic weeks (448 hours) ...I will be finished with my dietetic internship. OMG...this is super exciting. I think in the last few months I have had dreams were RD pops up behind my name, just behind M.S. I never thought two initials would make me feel so happy but wow, these initials are sure hard to get. So much work and I know this last rotation will not be easy but I can't wait to learn as much as I can about clinical nutrition. In 1 day I will be a clinical dietitian (in training).

So, in my last issue of Nutrition Action (Dec 2010) I just loved the article on pg 7, taking an in-depth look at the latest on diet and disease. There was a quiz that helps you cut to the chase for when you just don't have time to read what the researchers are finding or thinking. I love reading research but I know for my blog readers, it might not be the first thing you want to do after a training session or after a long day of work. So don't you worry, I will always be here to keep up with current research and I will do my best to keep you updated on anything and everything current with exercise and nutrition.

Here are a few questions and answers....(the number corresponds to the number in the quiz)
2) Which is least likely to protect your memory
a) take ginkgo biloba
b) lose excess weight
c) exercise at least 30 min. a day
d) keep your blood pressure under control
e) stay mentally and socially engaged
Answer: a
Ginkgo has failed to boost memory in most studies. In the latest, 1500 people aged 72 to 96 who took 240 mg of ginkgo every day for six years had no better memory, attention or any other measure of thinking ability than 1500 similar people who took a placebo. On the other hand, people who exercise, avoid weight gain in middle age, keep their blood pressure under control and stay mentally and socially engaged appear to score better on memory tests as they age. Although that's not proof, there are plenty of other reasons to take those steps.

5. Which is most likely to lower breast cancer risk?
a) eat more fruits and veggies
b) eat more soy foods
c) lose (or don't gain) excess weight
d) take vitamin D
3) eat less red meat
Answer: c
lose or don't gain excess weight. You can also lower your risk by getting more exercise and limiting alcohol.

6. Coffee drinkers have a lower risk of all but one of these conditions. Which one?
a) Parkinson's disease
b) arthritis
c) Kidney stones
d) Type 2 diabetes
e) gout
Answer: b
People who drink either regular or decaf coffee have a lower risk of type 2 diabetes, gout, and kidney stones. Lower Parkinson's risk is linked only to regular coffee. A small number of studies also find that people who consume more caffeine have a lower risk of Alzheimer's and other types of cognitive decline.

9. What's the best way to avoid catching a cold?
a) take vitamin C
b) take Airborne
c) take echinacea
d) don't share food
e) keep your hands clean
Answer: e
Sharing food is unlikely to spread colds because the virus needs to go from your hands to your eyes or nose. So wash your hands frequently. Taking high doses of vitamin C (1000 mg/d) before and while you have a cold may shorten the duration by half a day or so, but there's no good evidence that vitamin C products like Airborne or echinacea can prevent colds.

19. Excess pounds raise the risk of all but one of these cancers. Which one?
a) colon
b) brain
c) kidney
d) pancreatic
e) esophageal
Answer:b
Excess weight also promotes cancers of the uterus and breast, as well as fatal prostate cancer.

20) Getting too little sleep can do all but one of these?
a) lead to bone loss
b) make dieters lose less fat and more muscle
c) make cells resistant to insulin
d) make you hungrier
Answer: a
In a recent (though small) study, people lost more muscle than fat when they got too little sleep (less than 6 hours a night) while they were dieting. Sleep deprivation also makes you hungrier, especially for high carbohydrate foods. And lack of sleep may make your body respond poorly to insulin.