Skip to main content

Campy miles

I log my workouts on training peaks. I am not the best logger but I am trying really hard to keep track of my workouts on training peaks. On most Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays, you will find "campy miles" as one of my entries. That's right, I am logging my running miles with my favorite running partner.

A blog reader sent me to a wonderful poem. It brought tears to my eyes because I could totally relate to the lines in the poem.

http://www.taylormali.com/index.cfm?webid=14


Thank you Nicole S. for sharing the link on my blog!

My life has changed since I got Campy...all for the better. Sure, I have lost a few pairs of underwear and Karel and I have a few cycling shorts with holes but our dishes are always super clean after we eat! Our days always start with a happy dog and finish with a thankful dog. My perspective on life changed just a few months after getting Campy.
Rather than exercising for calories, I began to train for performance. No longer did I see food for calories but rather for fuel. Helping me live a more active lifestyle. I have been creating a healthy relationship with food for the past 3-5 years but not until I got Campy did I finally start living life and stopped fearing food as if it was good or bad. Not sure of the correlation but somehow, Campy taught me to live my life to the fullest and to make the most of every day.
I have always loved exercising but focusing on quality training began quickly after Campy and I started running together.
I was always a number person when it came to working out and felt as if I had to reach certain miles or times for every workout. Running with Campy has taught me that I have a body that loves to move. Wanting to keep my body active for the rest of my life is my ultimate goal. Somehow, Campy has taught me that even "campy miles" counts as training because my body is moving. Imagine that...a 11.2 lb Chihuahua/Italian Greyhound gave me a new philosophy of training and living life and because of him, I am starting my season the strongest and healthiest that I have ever been in my life.

This week has been quite busy with interning and training. I have been in bed at 9pm every night and up at 4:30am. My head is filled with clinical nutrition information, specifically wound care and tube feeding. I have a lot of homework this weekend and I'm hoping that everything starts coming together in the next few weeks. Only 2 more weeks of Long Term Care and then I start at St. Vincent's Hospital for my Acute Care rotation. I will also be spending a week at Nemours Children Hospital learning about pediatric nutrition.

On Thurs evening Karel and myself went down to the beach for the weekly Thurs Trek Beer Run. Oh, forgot to mention...Campy came with us!!
After a 90 min tempo trainer workout at 5am, followed by 2 Campy miles and then a LONG day of interning, I was in no mood to run. However, with Campy as my partner...count me in!!
Of course, once I got to the Trek Store I was super happy to be there but with Karel and Campy there with me, I could not have been happier.
(I still can't believe my cycling husband enjoys running!)

I was really nervous about the run because campy likes to bark at cars, people, runners, bikes, etc and anything moving while we are running. He gets a little distracted, likes to mark on every branch and leaf and always starts out too fast. The run is 3 or 4.5 miles (depending on route) and I guessed that campy would only be able to do about 2 miles..that is, if he was on his best behavior.

Once we got to the Trek store, Campy was the center of attention. With over 50 runners for the Beer Run, Campy had no idea what was about to happen...and neither did we.

We started the run and Campy was in full running mode! I have never seen him so focused and excited to run. Campy was on a mission to pass everyone and our first mile was a quick 8:30 min/mile pace (which included 3 quick pee stops). Campy was keeping pace with the other runners during the first mile and even passed a handful of people. I think it was because of me that he wasn't running faster.

I just couldn't believe how happy he was to be running. We made a short-cut and Campy was very sad. He wanted to run with everyone else. Once we met up with the other runners, Campy was ready to follow a group up the intercoastal bridge. After 2 miles of running, I opted out of the additional 2 miles and Campy and I took another short-cut. 1 mile later, we were at the pub, waiting for Karel.

Karel comes in huffing and puffing, just barely behind the fastest runners of the group. He didn't have a garmin but I am pretty sure he was averaging sub 7 min/miles for the 4.5 mile run. All of our tri-friends who did the run for the first time were very amazed that Karel could actually run. Or as one of our friends said "Wow-Karel is fast even without a bike".

But all Karel and I could talk about was Campy's amazing performance at the Beer Run. It brought a smile to my face and even today, Karel and I can't stop thinking about Campy and his miles.

Life is just amazing. We only have one of them. I am so thankful that I have Campy in my life. I hope we have lots and lots of years together and lots and lots of Campy miles.

Campy is super excited for his second-ever group run and ready to do his first bridge repeater!