Skip to main content

Even closer

I was eager to finish my last day, of my second week, on the cancer unit and hoped for a great day. The first 3 days went rather smoothly and I expected another great day. Well, the day was great but it started off really busy. I prioritized my list of patients and noticed I had two assessments that needed to get done before my follow-ups. I spent a good chunk of the morning working on a pt with celiac disease/diverticulitis and another pt who had roux-en-y revision, after having gastric bypass surgery. While I am familiar with both conditions, the status of both patients left me overwhelmingly confused. First I couldn't read the handwriting of the Gastroenterologists so I was kinda stuck on the current status of my patients. Once I finally deciphered the handwriting, I then had to google the procedure done on each patient because I wanted to know what my patient had experienced and the reason behind the current status. Whereas much of my patients have similar procedures and tests, these two patients were rather complicated, not to mention each of them had very specific dietary needs.
After about 7 hours, I finished my task list for the day and went the extra mile by working ahead on some patients for the unit RD, so that she wasn't so overwhelmed by her normal busy Friday. It takes about an hour to go over my task list (the RD has to sign-off and write orders for tube feedings, supplements, labs, etc. or anything else that I request for my patient) so I feel like I accomplished a lot for a really complicated day of patients.

I am really struggling with the motivation/discipline lately to study for my quiz and MNT Final (both this weekend) but I am sure I will find a way to pull it together and get some strength to study. The sun is shining and it is warm outside (just like I like it here in Florida!!) and I am really looking forward to some triathlete tan-lines this weekend. My bike is calling my name as are the open roads and fresh air.

Just 2 more quizzes and 2 finals on my to-do list, and 8 more days of interning. Official LAST DAY = April 22nd. This is a dream 3 years in the making and my third "degree" in 11 years. Thanks for hanging in there with me!


"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world."
Harriet Tubman


BTW - if you believe you would be a great Oakley ambassador because you perform beautifully you should apply for this contest...
http://apps.facebook.com/performbeautifully/contests/99398?ogn=facebook&order=recency


If you feel I would make a great ambassador, you can vote for me here:
(search for my name either on new entries or all entries). Thanks!!
http://apps.facebook.com/performbeautifully/contests/99398/voteable_entries/19525813?ogn=facebook&order=recency