Skip to main content

Love You and Thank You

Have you said "I love you lately" or even "thank you" to the many important people in your life that have supported you, cared for you, encouraged you and have given you guidance in this thing called life?

I am about to finish my 2nd week of my staff relief rotation, with only 2 more weeks to go. I am feeling very comfortable and confident with where I am right now and my intense 9 month internship (thus far) has prepared me very well for this last part of my rotation.
Having said that, this is my last day on the Cancer unit, which I have been covering all by myself. Every patient is unique and special and I feel privileged that I have been able to assess and follow so many courageous and strong men and women. Not all of my patients have cancer but 99% of the patients that I have seen this week have been high risk, partly for the chief complaint of why he/she entered the hospital (ex. GI bleed, intense abdominal pain, hyperemesis/nausea, etc.).

I have learned so much this week and unlike other floors at the hospital, the patients with cancer have different needs and requirements than on other floors. There is a bit of compassion that needs to be placed on a patient with cancer and not every person can be assessed "by the book".

While assessing a new patient yesterday who was receiving day 1 chemo (while I was in the room), I quickly thought back to the other day when one of my patients was recently diagnosed with cancer, and then I thought about another patient who had had several bouts of different cancers. While the body can be cruel at times, it is also an amazing piece of art. While not everyone respects his/her body, takes care of it and fuels it properly, it is important that we take a little time to think about life and how short it can be.
Be sure to take a little time everyday to thank and love the people that are in your life that make your life amazing. Also, take a little time to thank your body for allowing you to cross finish lines, play with your children, spend time with friends/family/significant others and most of all, for letting you be you.

My most favorite Blog Post..
http://trimarni.blogspot.com/2010/09/dear-body.html


A few quotes to make you smile:
"Develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that happens to you, knowing that every step forward is a step toward achieving something bigger and better than your current situation." Brian Tracy

"Count your blessings. Once you realize how valuable you are and how much you have going for you, the smiles will return, the sun will break out, the music will play, and you will finally be able to move forward the life that God intended for you with grace, strength, courage, and confidence." Og Mandino