Skip to main content

Monday Product Review




Oakley Women Beach Bag














I rarely turn down an opportunity to go to the beach but despite being less than 20 miles away, I don't go there a lot. When I received my Oakley Women Beach Bag I wasn't sure how I wanted to use it so I decided to make it my work bag. When I go to the hospital, I just love carrying my binder and books in my bright blue bag. My calculator, tube feeding booklet and pen stay in my lab coat, since I use all three on a daily basis but the bag is large enough to carry everything I need for work (including my lunch). With the magnetic closure and interior pocket w/ zipper, the bag is perfect for any occasion.








Arnica Pain Relief Cream

Several months ago I was dealing with a lot of inflammation in and around my hips. I blame a large amount of it to stress and lots of sitting during my internship but I was also extremely tight, with weak surrounding muscles. My massage therapist
Marjorie suggested that I purchase Arnica Cream to help with inflammation and soreness. She assured me that the cream wouldn't "heal" me but it would make the inflammation subside so that I could progress more quickly with my strength-specific exercises as well as with more aggressive/specific massage therapy. I went to Native Sun and picked up a 2.5 ounce bottle of Boiron Arnicare Arnica Cream and started using it on a daily basis. I would bring it with me to my internship and re-apply around half day. I am now using it throughout my Kona training as I am happily without pain but experience soreness just like the everyone else. I highly recommend purchasing some from your local health food store.
Here's a little about Arnica from the University of Maryland Medical Center
:
Arnica (Arnica montana) has been used for medicinal purposes since the 1500s and remains popular today. Applied topically as a cream, ointment, liniment, salve, or tincture, Europeans and Native Americans have used arnica to soothe muscle aches, reduce inflammation, and heal wounds. It is often the first remedy used for injuries such as sprains and bruises. Arnica in herbal form is primarily restricted to topical (external) use because it can cause serious side effects when taken internally.



Popcorn

Just reading the word POPCORN makes me lick my lips. YUM!!
Although you may be hesitant to order the buttery popcorn at the movie theater due due to the calories, sodium and saturated fat (which may exceed at least a day's worth), I am a big fan of homemade popcorn. While popcorn may be the perfect addition to a weekend movie, I find popcorn to be a great, healthy and filling snack.
What you may not know (or have forgotten) is that popcorn is a whole grain!! Just a little about whole grains, whole grains contain the entire grain kernel -- the bran, germ, and endosperm. Refined grains have been milled, a process that removes the bran and germ. When grains are refined and enriched, the grains are given a finer texture, with an extended shelf life. However, in contrast the whole grain, refining removes dietary fiber, iron, and many B vitamins. Whole grains may reduce the risk of disease, such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer and obesity and help to control blood sugar levels by controlling the release of insulin. Whole grains are also packed with fiber which slow down digestion and help you feel fuller, longer.


To give you an idea of the goodness you receive from 1 serving (2 tbsp) of un-popped popcorn, you get a wonderful 6 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein, with only 100 calories. Although you can buy popcorn in a microwavable bag, I recommend being crafty in your kitchen and making some at home (a few kernels go a long way when popped!).
Here's my simple recipe:
1/3 cup kernels
2 tbsp canola oil
No-salt seasoning
1 tbsp Olivio Spreadable butter (optional) - this is our favorite butter






1. In a deep, large pot (with lid), cover kernels with oil (give a good shake). Cover.
2. Heat pan to medium heat.
3. When first kernel begins to pop, lift the pot (covered) and give a shake ever 30-60 seconds.
4. When kernels are finished popping, turn off heat and add butter. Give a toss and sprinkle with no-salt seasoning.