Skip to main content

My favorite pre-training meal

Finding balance. For most of us active individuals, it is very hard to find the perfect balance in life. I try to avoid using the word "perfect" as I don't believe that we need to strive for a state of "completeness and flawlessness". However, when we do find balance in life, life feels absolutely perfect.
In the past month or two, I have found balance. It feels absolutely wonderful. With a training plan that has allowed me to be extremely consistent with training as well as a diet that fuels my workouts and my lifestyle, I have been able to balance Ironman training with the rest of my life. The funny thing about balance is that it is not always present as our life is ever-changing.
Perhaps you are starting a new job, welcoming a child, training for a new event or new distance, working on dietary habits or changing your lifestyle routine. Regardless of the situation, you must welcome new changes with an open mind and not compare the current situation to past situations. Life is going to change and you must be willing to make the necessary changes to find a sense of balance.
I would love to share with you my favorite pre-training meal, which is typically consumed on the eve of a hard weekend of training. With only 7 weeks (50 days, just in case you aren't counting :)) until I "float" at the starting line of my 5th Ironman and 2nd Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii, I feel great being fueled with my balanced approach to eating as well as finding balance in everything I do in life.
How do you find balance in life?
Enjoy and feel free to be creative and use your favorite whole grain bread (I recommend >3g fiber, <150 mg sodium and >2g protein PER slice) as well as your favorite easy-to-digest veggie to make this meal "balanced" just for you and your personal needs.



French Toast w/ garlic butter asparagus
2 slices Whole Grain Bread (I used Arnold healthfull Nutty Grain) - http://www.arnoldbread.com/Products/Description.aspx?sSku=7341013840
3 eggs (1 whole egg + 2 egg whites)
1/8 cup skim milk
Non stick spray
Fruit of your choice

1. In a large skillet, heat to medium heat.
2. Scramble eggs w/ milk.
3. Soak bread in egg mixture. Spray non stick pan with spray.
4. Cook bread for 1-2 minutes (or until toast turns slightly golden on bottom), then flip.
5. Top with fruit of your choice
*As an additional topping, I typically top my french toast w/ Dannon Non Fat plain yogurt mixed with a little 100% strawberry jam (no high fructose corn syrup added).
*I cooked the leftover scrambled eggs and adding fresh diced tomatoes with swiss cheese.
For asparagus...
Asparagus
1-2 cloves Garlic
1 tbsp Butter

1. Cut off tips and wash.
2. In a large pot (large enough to place asparagus), head to medium heat.
3. Cover bottom of pan with water and place asparagus in water. Cover.
4. Cook asparagus for 5-8 minutes, or until soft.
5. Drain water and add 1 tbsp butter to pan, toss with garlic.