Skip to main content

Salad for two

Karel is on his way home from 2011 Trek World. I'm so excited to hear the latest news in the cycling/triathlon world as Karel always comes back with knew knowledge and lots of surprises.
What started out to be a bummer of a weekend for Karel, turned into a once in a lifetime trip. Karel was excited for the 100 mile Centurion Wisconsin Cycling Event but after a 2-hour storm delay, followed by 3 flats within 10 miles, Karel ended up cutting the course short and finishing with 50 miles. He was super bummed as he loves riding in the hills but from the pics he sent me, I think he got over the flats by.....

Checking out Lance Armstrong's TT bike from his last TDF























Riding with Chris Lieto, Frank Schleck and Fabian Cancellara






















Hanging with Jens Voigt
























And Andy Schleck
















Karel told me that this trip was one of the best trips he has ever been on and I'm sure he will remember that bike ride for the rest of his life. I am so excited for him that he had this opportunity as life is all about experiences, love and learning and making wonderful memories with an active and healthy body.

One of the most common questions I get from people concerns me being a vegetarian, endurance athlete and Karel being a meat-eating, elite category 1 cyclist. I simply reply that the only thing that differs between Karel and myself is that I don't eat meat or fish. Furthermore, I think it is important that we accept people for having different passions in life but I feel it is important that we encourage our loved ones to embrace an active lifestyle. I would never ask Karel to do triathlons for he is a cyclist and will always be a cyclist. His love is for riding bikes and as long as he enjoys what he is doing on a daily basis and finds a way to stay active in order to increase longevity and quality of life, I am there to support him and be his number one fan.
I just love creating yummy meals for Karel as I don't need to go out of my way to provide my husband (who I plan to spend an active-forever with) with a satisfying meal. I can't always ensure that my meal will fill him up, but at least I start off his dinner (every night) with a plant-based meal that tastes good and provides his body with lots of powerful nutrients. So although we have different lifestyles, different diets and different needs, I recognize that we should eat similar foods but in different quantities.
I hope you enjoy my latest creation. The "salad" is perfect for everyone so it is up to you to get creative on what you will put inside your pita.

Egg or Tuna Pita w/ Broccoli, Mushroom and Chickpea salad
Tuna Pita:
1 can tuna in water
Corn
Black beans
Onions
Tomatoes
Cilantro
Garlic
Greek yogurt (for the spread)
Swiss cheese (sliced)

Egg pita:
1 sunnyside up egg
Greek yogurt (for the spread)
Swiss cheese (Sliced)

Salad:
Steamed broccoli
Sauteed chickpeas, mushrooms and onions (in 2 tbsp olive oil)
Chopped garlic
Chopped basil
Sharp cheddar shredded cheese