Skip to main content

Did you say Thank You?








There's no reason for posting this picture except for the fact that it makes me smile.











I came across this quote the other day...
"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live"
How true is this quote???? Yet for many, there are very few "thank you's" given to the human body.
As athletes we love having great training days. We also love good training days as well as tough training days. But when things feel a little off or the body is tired, we often feel defeated, as if our body has failed. However, I see otherwise.
This morning I had a tough workout. All three sports, swim, bike and run on tired legs and with a tired body. I respected my body by allowing a full day off from training on Tues and a easy swim + light strength on Wed. After a massage on Wed and the "ok" from my amazing massage therapist Marjorie (http://marjorielmt.blogspot.com/) she cleared me to resume training as she said my body had no hot spots and I had recovered very well from my 4-day training camp.
Thurs and Fri were both challenging and I welcomed today with a change of scenery in order to keep my head in the game.
After testing out my speed suit for a 1500 meter swim, in the absolutely beautiful Ponte Vedra Club lap pool (http://www.pontevedra.com/lodge-and-club/index.aspx), I joined the Lodge bike ride for a quick spin. I stayed in the back and avoided any surges as I knew I needed to save my legs for my long run.
After 37 miles, I got my run gear ready and off I went for a 16 mile (2hr and 15 min) run.
My body was tired and it was hotter than last week but I left my excuses in the car as I was thankful that my body was not injured, my heart was working and I was still mentally excited to do this workout.

When I finished my workout I received a few random text messages and emails from friends and athletes that just brightened my day. After texting Karel (who is working today at the Trek store) that my workout "kinda sucked" he responded "I knew it would be hard. Focus on recovery. One last hard day tomorrow. It's all about discipline".

I feel it is important to thank your body for both the great, amazing, good and successful workouts as well as for the off, not-so-good, sucky and miserable workouts. For at the end of the day, our body doesn't have to let us train for an Ironman, let alone get out the door for a breath of fresh air.


I will be writing my yearly thank you blog to "My Team" which includes so many....



















While I find it extremely important to always recognize the many people in your life that help you pursue your goals - bike mechanic, physical therapist, coach, nutritionist, massage therapist, shoe/gait expert, running/swimming coach, family, friends, furry animals - never forget to THANK your own body for what it allows you to do on a daily basis.



My thoughts go out to everyone who was affected by 9/11. I would like to share this poem in an effort to motivate others to live life to the fullest as you never know what tomorrow may bring.

Live Life

© Livelovelaugh

Life is crazy,
and totally unpredictable...
It's going to push you over,
kick you while you're down
and hit you when you try to get back up.
Not everything can beat you.
Things are going to change you,
But you get to choose which ones you let change you.
Listen to your heart,
Follow your dreams,
And let no one tell you what you're capable of.
Push the limits,
Bend the rules,
And enjoy every minute of it.
Laugh at everything,
Live for as long as you can.
Love all,
But trust none.
Believe in yourself,
And never lose faith in others
Settle for nothing but only the best,
And give 110% in everything you do.
Take risks,
Live on the edge,
Yet stay safe,
And cherish every moment of it.
Life is a gift,
Appreciate all the rewards,
And jump on every opportunity.
Not everyone's going to love you
But who needs them anyways.
Challenge everything,
And fight for what you believe.
Back down to nothing,
But give in to the little things in life,
After all, that is what makes you.
Forget the unnecessary,
But remember everything,
Bring it with you everywhere you go.
Learn something new,
And appreciate criticism.
Hate nothing,
But dislike what you want.
Never forget where you came from,
And always remember where you are going.
Live Life to its fullest,
And have a reason for everything,
Even if it's totally insane.
Find Your purpose in life,
and Live it!



Source: Live Life, Inspirational Poem and 6 Stories http://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/live-life#ixzz1XZwYcFyi