Skip to main content

Feeling inspired

Odds are that you know someone who is racing this weekend. This week I have found myself counting down the days until my friends and athletes partake in x-race and leave everything out on the race course - racing their plan and enjoying the experience.
With Ironman Wisconsin, The Nation's Triathlon, Rev 3 140.6 (Ohio), Iron Girl Seattle (running race) and the Ironman World Championships 70.3 (Vegas) as some of the BIG events, I can't help but feel inspired by so many dedicated athletes.
As we approach several more notable triathlon events in the next month or two, there will be no shortage of inspiring and motivating blogs from athletes all around the world.
But with the Ironman World Championships in 30 days, I find that preparing my mind is just as important as preparing my body for this upcoming 140.6 mile event.
This same passion, dedication and excitement that I have for this upcoming triathlon is combined with a similar passion for nutrition and coaching. For triathlons isn't my life, but my lifestyle.
Last night we had a FANTASTIC turnout at the Mandarin location Trek Bicycle Store of Jacksonville for my nutrition talk as well as the monthly Hammerhead Triathlon Club meeting. All the athletes (and future athletes) went home with some fabulous swag thanks to Hammer Nutrition, Oakley Women, Trek, Bontrager and Power Bar.
I absolutely loved speaking to everyone on the topic of "Beyond Sports Nutrition: Appreciating Food for Fuel" and had so many great questions after my talk. Thanks again to everyone who came to the "town store" and for a great event.














































As much as I love coaching, writing about nutrition, training and speaking about well, anything....I have an incredible passion for making plant-based meals to fuel my active lifestyle. Of course, I don't have to tell you all that because you are likely reading this blog as you are in YOUR journey of developing a healthy relationship with food as well as learning to appreciate food for fuel.
This latest creation was super yummy. Roasted cauliflower, bow-tie noodles, black beans, sauteed spinach, lots of chopped garlic, olive oil and chopped fresh basil.
















One thing that I love about the Ironman is that if you are currently training (or about to participate) in an Ironman, you are constantly reminding yourself of your personal journey of making yourself a stronger, smarter and fitter athlete. All the sacrifices, obstacles and "never thought it was possible" moments of transforming your body to prepare for an all-day event. It's amazing that with an Ironman (or long distance event) you learn SO much about yourself before you even stand foot on the starting line. It's as if just getting to the starting line is the true accomplishment and finishing the race is simply the added bonus for all your hard work. For many people, who have yet to consider doing an Ironman or may never want to attempt an Ironman, there is something absolutely special about knowing, supporting and believing in someone who is about to do their first or 20th Ironman event (and everything in between). For you don't have to participate or train for a long distance event in order to feel inspired or to inspire others. Believe in yourself that you can succeed - whether it is in life, work, sports or diet - and you will find yourself a winner without needing/wanting a medal (or t-shirt) to prove it.

For all the athletes, future athletes, fitness enthusiasts and health-conscious individuals, I leave you with an amazing quote by Nancye Sims. Since both my brother and I have been athletes for all our life, I'm pretty sure my mom has had this quote (cut-out from the newspaper) for over 10 years in our kitchen. I'm so glad that she finally passed it along for me to share with others.

Winners Take Chances
Winners take chances.
Like everyone else they fear failing, but they refuse to let fear control them.
Winners don't give up.
When life gets tough they hang in until the going gets better.
Winners are flexible.
They realize there is more than one way and are willing to try others.
They respect their weaknesses while making the most of their strengths.
Winners fall, but they don't stay down.
They stubbornly refuse to let a fall keep them from climbing.
Winners don't blame fate for their failures, nor luck for their successes.
Winners accept responsibility for their lives.
Winners are positive thinkers who see good in all things.
From the ordinary, they make the extraordinary.
Winners believe in the path they have chosen, even when it's hard, even when others can't see where they are going.
Winners are patient.
They know a goal is only as worthy as the effort that's required to achieve it.
Winners are people like you.
They make this world a better place.