Skip to main content

Monday Product Review

What a weekend. My last BIG build before Kona!! This week I welcome a full recovery week in order to gain strength, speed and power from working hard in my last two training blocks. I have been training for 10 weeks and started my 14-week B4KONA training plan after almost 3 months of NO running due to hip pain and a stressful internship. I have to say I am feeling like I am in the best shape of my life and absolutely LOVING my training. Certainly I welcome the upcoming taper at the end of the month but I don't feel as if I "Need it" to come now. I am not burnt out and I am not losing my love for Ironman training. I love growing as an athlete after every workout and that is what I will miss the most as I near the end of this training. However, with this growth, I can't wait to put my training to the test on October 8th, 2011!
As I approach the last 3 weeks before Kona (after this well-needed recovery week), I will not lose focus on intensity but rather, lengthen recovery between intervals. The idea of a long-distance taper is to find yourself healing from the hard efforts from the previous months of training..thus, the body will likely feel extremely tired, fatigued and somewhat "off" due to the massive amount of healing that is needed from high volume IM training. As the race gets closer, I will introduce specific "speed" sets to wake up the legs and prepare my body for the 140.6 mile event. And if all goes well, I will find myself continuing to get stronger without high volume training, as well as getting more and more hungry to "compete" on race day. There will be no Ironman for me next year so I am excited to go for it in my 5th Ironman. After watching everyone compete in various events this weekend, being a coach to 8 amazing athletes and being the wife of a competitive cyclist who inspires me on a daily basis, I am fairy certain that even without an IM in my life (I will still be racing but not for 140.6 miles), I will continue to feel inspired and motivated by the many people out there searching for ways to reach their dreams, overcome obstacles and above all, live life to the fullest.



A quick product review..
Sayonara swimskin

This will be my speed suit for Kona. The Sayonara Shortjohn Swimskin suit feels absolutely amazing in the water. I tested it out this weekend at the Ponte Vedra Club pool, prior to my bike + long run workout on Sat. It feels so comfortable and not super tight around my neck or thighs. It has a great fit and I can't wait to wear it for 2.4 miles.
A little about the suit from http://www.tyr.com/shop/sayonara-shortjohn-swimskin-p-903.html
The Sayonara Swimskin for women is the triathlon industry's first swimskin to use patented Yamamoto Biorubber Mark III fabrication. Engineered as a lightweight SCS (super composite skin), the SAZS6 provides thermoregulation in the water and utilizes hydrogen-bonding on the surface to minimize drag and maximize water repellency. Built to provide a super low drag coefficient and unrivaled performance, the Women's Sayonara Shortjohn Swimskin reduces stress and muscle fatigue, while a special stability core helps swimmers maintain proper body position in the water.

Tri-Layer Construction features a limestone base micro-honeycomb exterior to maximize water repellency, a flexible titanium alloy mid-layer that contours to the natural shape of the swimmer's body and a single knit stretch polyester inner-layer to provide a low water absorption ratio.


Collapsible Travel cup by Popware for Pets

My mom gave Campy a wonderful gift when we went to visit them over Labor day. What a perfect gift for my traveling poochie (Campy goes by many nicknames).
I absolutely LOVE this travel cup as it expands for use and collapses for travel. It comes with a quick release clip and the cup is light and holds the perfect amount of water. Karel has several races coming up in Sept and then one more when we return from Kona so I plan to make good use of this travel cup as Karel finishes up the rest of his 2011 season.