Skip to main content

dark green OVERLOAD!!



...is never a bad thing so long as we focus on nutritional balance to meet our individual health, lifestyle and performance goals.

I suppose I was incredibly inspired by FOOD DAY!

I can't describe my excitement when I started my latest creation in my kitchen. Always with a vision and a primary ingredient, but never with a plan.

Although I know the many benefits of Kale - which is now the "superman" of dark greens" - I continue to say "I haven't yet learned to appreciate it". When I traveled abroad to Japan in 7th grade, I was told by my teacher that we should try new things but if we don't like what we try, to say "I haven't yet learned to appreciate it" rather than "I don't like it". Perhaps the former saying, rather than later, gives us some accountability that eventually we WILL like what we are trying.

I find it incredibly important to be creative in your kitchen when trying new foods. Certain ingredients may over power other ingredients and when you are trying to introduce new foods, your taste buds may not be familiar with what you are trying. Never tell yourself that you will never like something because as I told the kids yesterday "it takes many, many, many times to try something healthy before you realize that you really do like it".

Last night I went full-out. DARK GREEN OVERLOAD!! I almost added bell peppers and broccoli but I wanted to be sure that I didn't have too much vitamin K and A in my meal. Although I am very passionate about eating a plant-based diet, I realize even too much fruits and veggies can be negative to our health - particularly if we are excluding other foods (vitamins and minerals) that will help us reach nutritional balance.

For our dinner last night, which was shared by Karel - who LOVED this meal, I made collard green wraps and kale chips and a mango (on the side) for extra vitamin C to soak up the iron in the dark greens. Plus, the mango gave a great sweetness to the meal. By the time I finished this meal, I was super satisfied with all my taste buds super happy.

Kale Chips

Bunch of Kale (stems removed, cleaned)
no-salt seasoning
sea salt
olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. On large cooking sheet, place torn kale leaves.
3. Drizzle olive oil on kale leaves and rub to cover leaves (gently)
4. Sprinkle with a dash of sea salt and your favorite no-salt seasoning.
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until edges begin to brown and chip is crunchy.

*Once kale chips are done, turn oven to 425 degrees if you would like to make collard green wraps as well.

Collard wraps w/ avocado and fresh mozzarella

Collard Greens
Tuna (for meat eater)
Tofu (for vegetarian)
Avocado
Mozzarella cheese (fresh, part-skim)
Corn
Onions
Mushrooms
Cilantro
Olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Cook corn, onions and mushrooms in large skillet on medium heat, in a little olive oil.
3. As veggies are cooking, open clean collard green leaf (stem removed) and rub with avocado. Place a few thin slices of cheese on green.
4. Take a few spoonfuls of cooked veggies and your choice of protein and place on center of green. Cover with a little cilantro (to your taste). Sprinkle with pepper.
5. Roll collard green and flip over on non-stick pan, sprayed with a little non-stick cooking spray (or drizzle of olive oil, rubbed on pan).
6. Cook in oven for 5-8 minutes or until slightly toasted.
7. Use leftover veggies for a side.


Karel's plate:

My plate: