Skip to main content

Love your body day!!

Thanks to my friends/mentors at Preferred Nutrition for telling me about Love Your Body Day!!

When I was interning at Preferred Nutrition for my 8 week community nutrition rotation (July - Sept 2010), I really started to appreciate the human body, as an athlete and as a health-conscious individual. I strengthened my beliefs about nutrition as well as developed new philosophies about how we should view food. I really feel as if my time at Preferred Nutrition was one of the most monumental experiences in my internship as I truely started to develop a passion for helping people with nutrition. I really learned a lot from working with clients with eating disorders and by sitting in on lots of counseling sessions, I really grasped the concept of counseling and helping people, without saying a lot. As a dietitian, my goal isn't to tell you everything I know but rather to focus on the NOW and what you can do today, to make tomorrow even better. I believe the eating is much deeper than calories in/out, carbs and fat. Eating is much more internal and I believe in focusing on as many positives as we can with food, the body and exercise rather than simple focusing on the negatives with the body and bad or off-limit foods.

When working with eating disorder patients, it was very exhausting at times. You really feel for the person who you are trying to help. However, I always looked forward to the next client and the next day. But at the same time, it was so powerful to learn how motivational interviewing can play a tremendous part on healing someone with disordered thoughts about eating.

In honor of Love your body day , I ask that you either write a letter to your body, USE your body, nourish your body or discover a few reasons of why you love and appreciate your body.

As far as writing a letter to your body, I have done it twice and it is a powerful thing. No need to post it on your blog or facebook page (unless you want to) but keep it close to you so that you can always read it in times of negative food vocabulary or when you choose to not respect/appreciate the body for what it allows you to do on a daily basis.
Here are my two letters:
Dear body 2010
Dear body 2011

In order to give you a jump start for FOOD DAY on October 24th, here's a delicious salad that covers every taste bud you could imagine. YUM!

Avocado and Tofu Salad
(Chicken w/ swiss cheese for Karel - I baked the chicken in oven in olive oil and no-salt seasoning at 425 degrees until it reached 165 degrees)

1/2 container firm tofu (cooked on pan on medium heat in olive oil)
Mushrooms (cooked on pan, with tofu)
Avocado
Mozzarella cheese
Chopped almonds
Carrots (from farmers market)
Cucumbers
Green bell pepper
Onion