Skip to main content

This week....



Happy 3-year wedding anniversary to my wonderful hubby Karel.




When we were dating back in 2006, I would always tell Karel that we made the best teammates. Fast forward to 2011 (almost 2012!) and I couldn't agree more. What's great about teammates is that they have each others back. They are there for one another when times get tough and they create memories when life seems oh-so-wonderful.
You want to be sure your teammate recognizes your strengths and you don't get upset when your teammate tells you your weaknesses. For you know that the best teammates only want to make you better. They are not selfish and want more for you, than they do for themselves. It's funny how in life you can learn so much from someone else, without recognizing it (at the time) that they are only making you a BETTER you for the future.
What I love the most about Karel is his willingness to go out of his way for anyone. I am not sure if it is love, or just Karel, but he has a way of making it seem "Ok" when he wants me to get out of my comfort zone. I suppose that he often believes in me, more than I believe in my life but because I trust Karel so very much, I often find myself doing things I never once thought possible, all because I have someone who loves me unconditionally. Karel has always accepted me for me and because of that, I have found myself becoming a better person, all because he never encourages me to become someone that I think I am not or can never be.

This is one of my favorite pictures. We had just gotten Campy (about a week earlier) and I was instantly in love with this little guy (we think he was around 10-12 months old when we got him from a foster family who found him behind a building in Amelia Island) and we were 2 weeks away from getting married in Oct 2006.
Campy has really changed Karel and myself as I believe he has really opened our eyes as to how wonderful the world is..if you really live it. Campy goes everywhere with us/me (if you couldn't guess) and we love it that way. Campy has a special way of looking at you, always with eyes that scream "I love you", reminding you that life is never as bad as you think it is.

I think Karel and myself are both really lucky to have each other but our wedding anniversary is even more special because we were lucky enough to have Campy come into our lives.


On another note, I continue to feel inspired by FOOD DAY...

Avocado dip
1 medium avocado
1 heaping tbsp non-fat or greek yogurt (plain)
Pinch of sea salt
Dash of pepper
Chopped onions
Chopped garlic

1. Mix together with fork and refrigerate.



Sweet Kale protein smoothie

2 prunes
1 leaf kale (leaf removed from stem,washed)
1 stalk celery
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
5 almonds (or your favorite nut)
1/2 tbsp PB
1/2 large banana
1 small orange/tangerine
1 scoop whey protein (or your fav protein)
1/2 cup skim milk
Water (as needed)
Ice cubes

1. Mix together in blender/vita-mix.
2. Add water gradually and to meet consistency needs.



Busy tomorrow and live in Jacksonville?

Not only is Jacksonville the BEST city for having so many fast, fun, passionate and healthy triathletes, runners and cyclists..but we have the BEST beer run EVER!! Don't miss it - 6:30pm THURSDAY at Trek Bicycles of Jacksonville (beach location). Costumes encouraged!
Beaches Beer Run will start at the beach TREK store and now finish at Nippers!!!! 4.65 miles of fun then a huge outdoor deck for FREE beer and socializing. They are rolling out the red carpet for the runners on Oct 27th!

Karel is one week away from finishing his cycling season (this weekend is the state road race championships in Clermont, FL as well as the end of the year banquet celebration - can't wait to cheer on Karel!) so although it will just be me and Campy at the beer run this week, Karel absolutely loves running in his off-season...for beer that is :) And don't let him fool you that he is not "a runner". Karel has one sub-40 min 10K under his belt..his first (and only) "running" race!


For all my compression lovers...
If you aren't a lover/user of compression - be sure to put this item on your "holiday" MUST HAVE list. In addition to your CEP active calf sleeves and socks, 110% Play Harder has a new product!!! As if compression could not get any better.....compression tights + ice therapy !!! The 110%. Play Harder clutch-tights are now available!!!

And don't forget to put some Oakley Breast Cancer Awareness items (clothing and sunglasses) on your MUST HAVE list!
I just got the Hoodie which is perfect for a fall day, not to mention super comfortable to wear around the house or to put on after you clean up from a workout.
10% of the proceeds from each sale of the special edition YSC products go to the Young Survival Coalition® (YSC), which is the premier global organization dedicated to the critical issues unique to young women who are diagnosed with breast cancer.


Lastly, I hope you enjoy my latest article on LAVA online - Plate Not Pills- Beta Carotene
Plates Not Pills: Beta-carotene : LAVA Magazine