I absolutely love, love, LOVE winter produce. The closer I get to the winter months, the more time I spend in my kitchen..coming up with yummy creations.
I can honestly admit that I enjoy all fruits and veggies....when someone else prepares them. There are lots of staple produce items in my diet but in the case of some veggies like squash, cauliflower and zucchini, I haven't yet learned to appreciate them yet - in my own creation.
However...I WILL NOT GIVE UP!
After a lot of creativity, I finally learned to appreciate eggplant. Rubbed in olive oil, seasoned with no-salt seasonings and topped with a little mozzarella cheese...I now LOVE eggplant.
When my friend Laura (http://healthyeaterrd.blogspot.com/) prepares butternut squash soup for me..I absolutely love it! I recently purchased a butternut squash at the farmers market so it was up to me to make sure it didn't go to waste (as no food goes to waste in the Sumbal household).
For my yummy creation the other night, I prepared grilled eggplant and butternut squash. Super simple as both cooked in the oven and I had time to prepare a lunch for Karel and myself, for the next day.
Eggplant and butternut squash
2 large eggplants
optional: part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil and place sliced eggplant on sheet.
3. Rub a little olive oil on each eggplant and season with your choice of no-salt seasoning.
4. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
1 butter nut squash (sliced down middle, seeds removed)
1 tbsp butter (my fav is Olivio)
1. On a baking sheet, lined with tinfoil, place butternut squash with inside facing upward.
2. Lightly pread butter all over inside of squash.
3. Season with a pinch of sea salt.
4. Bake for 40 minutes or until inside is soft.
5. Cube squash and serve.
Butternut squash w/ cinnamon
Yogurt w/ 2 dried prunes
Salad w/ chopped egg and salsa
Not-pictured - baggy of grapes, sliced peaches and celery sticks. Baggy of unsalted mixed nuts.
1 can tuna (w/ can opener)
Yogurt w/ peaches and prunes
Mixed salad w/ chopped egg
Not-pictured - baggy of grapes and celery sticks. Baggy of unsalted mixed nuts.