Skip to main content

New Year Resolutions

I was given the opportunity to be challenged this week. Challenged in a good way, that is.
Working as a clinical dietitian is always challenging, for each patient (regardless of diagnosis) has his/her own past medical history. Over the past 6 months, I have learned an amazing amount of information about the body as well as healthcare in general. I've gotten to know many of the nurses at BMCB as well as a few of the doctors. I started out seeing patients in med surge and once I got a bit more comfortable, I worked my way to seeing patients in the PCU (Progressive Care Unit). With each change in unit comes more difficult and complex cases and just this week, I was given the opportunity to assess, follow and treat patients in the CCU (Critical care unit).
Accepting this challenge also comes with responsibility as I am assessing and following patients who are on tube feedings, TPN, with decub ulcers, undergoing chemo/radiation, are sedated, are inbuted or are with a trach. I suppose you could say that the most critical patients are in the CCU.
There's a lot to understand when it comes to working with patients in the hospital and while some cases seem "easy", there's nothing simple about being admitted into the hospital after a visit to the ER.

I absolutely love being a clinical dietitian and I can't express the amount of info I have learned since wanting to become a RD. Thinking back, I told myself that sports nutrition and having my own business were the two driving forces in obtaining my RD credential, alongside writing a book and advancing my speaking and writing career.

I would never take back my experience as a dietitian intern and with only a few more days before I enter a new chapter of my life, with a New Year, I am extremely thankful to my friends and family for not giving up on me during the last challenging year of my life.

If you know me, you know I love a challenge. For my challenges are not too extreme but rather life-changing. I enjoy putting myself into situations that will make me a better person and most of all, allow me to really understand what life is all about.

For the New Year, I welcome you to give yourself a few resolutions that will challenge yourself to be a better person. While diet and exercise are two great habits to keep balanced in your life, it is important that you not be afraid to take yourself out of your comfort zone in order to become a better YOU.

1) Become a better planner...in all areas of your life.
2) Have a flexible schedule. Don't be afraid of change.
3) Relax. No really, RELAX!
4) Walk more, drive less.
5) Use your brain more and depend on/use electronics less.
6) Write more..with paper and pencil (if you don't have that, I think the stores still sell them)
7) Volunteer or give back
8) Do something that gets you out of your comfort zone, at least once a week
9) Don't be afraid to come in last or to fail with a new sport. Just by signing up, you are already a step ahead of others who are afraid to start.
10) Smile more often.
11) Don't judge people, gossip less.
12) Watch at least 1 reality show (or show that makes you laugh) per week.
13) Support, motivate and encourage those who you care about. Don't preach, just be a good friend.
14) Simplify your life so you have more time for you.
15) Worry less and have fun more often.
16) Say I love you and thank you...if you mean it, it can't be said enough.
17) Talk less, listen more. You can't listen with your mouth open.
18) Be less opinionated. Accept others for who they are.
19) Be more responsible, challenge yourself.
20) Never look back and say "I wish I would have". Live in the moment and make smart choices that will make for a productive tomorrow.


21) Cheerish your true friends and be nice to everyone else.